The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to start? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dvno
View Profile
Special user
Hamburg
570 Posts

Profile of dvno
Hey guys,

it's not about what book should I read or what should I learn first in this thread. I started about two years ago with magic when I was 32. I've been interested in magic nearly all my life but I never started with learning it by myself until 2018. I would say that I have learned quite a few things but I perform mostly for my friends, family and sometimes in bars (not paid, just the 'hey do you wanna see a magic trick thing'). I had one paid stage act on a school festival that went really well and they couldn't believe that this was my first ever larger performance since there were hundreds of people watching. But I only became the chance to perform because I know the people who organized the festival. Now I feel that I want more than only performing for my friends. But how do I start with that? Should I perform in bars for free and ask if they are interested in regular magic events? How did you guys do that when you were at the beginning of your career? I just want to have one or two events per month which will give me some extra money besides my regular job as a kind of bonus (so that the stuff I buy will pay out a bit). But the main topic is that I'd like to show the hobby that I love to as many people as possible.

Thank you

Daniel
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
I would say you need to think about how you would network to the venues that you have an interest in performing for. You may need to to create some momentum by first establishing yourself by doing the odd free gig here or there to create these networking opportunity's. But before that happens you need something that a potential customer is willing to buy. You need to know what your own value is before you try to persuade others of your value to them.

For Bar magic/Walk around magic I would recommend getting a copy of The Approach by Jamie D Grant which is unfortunately unavailable in hardcopy but still available as an ebook from Jamie's site. I would strongly recommend you get it as it will walk you from A to B in organizing yourself, consolidating and choosing your repertoire, approaching a venue, what to charge and a multitude of other things that you may or may not even have considered. I would strongly get it well you still can because Jamies site is the only place that I've found that offers the eBook version, and after that goes it will be completely off the market. It's a great book.

Here's the Link to Jamie's book: https://www.sendwonder.com/collections/a......sion-pdf

For stage work approach festivals, fairs and charities that align themselves with the demographic you hope to perform for and offer your services.

Have you considered looking into the world of busking magic? It will offer you all the performance opportunity in the world but money isn't always guaranteed.

I'm somewhat reluctant to give to much advise because I'm having an issue reconciling the "foot half in and a foot half out" mentality that your striving for. I wouldn't even call two gigs a month enough to be called a semi-pro but instead be more comfortable considering you a amateur with the odd paying gig here or there.

Why is this important? Because I think it's important to manage expectations of yourself and more importantly potentially customers so there is no misunderstandings. You need to ask yourself what your availability is in relation to your day job because there is no point soliciting multiple leads to only turn a majority of them down because they don't fit your schedule or your preferred work load.

Until you can fully gauge your level of commitment I think it would be best that you strategically hunt out the specific gigs you want through personal connections you make via networking. No need to print business cards, flyers or any of that stuff. Go out there and meet people and see what fits.

If you want to take things to a bigger level of commitment, then we can start talking about the business side of magic.

I hope that Helps.

Magically

Aus
dvno
View Profile
Special user
Hamburg
570 Posts

Profile of dvno
Thank you very much, Aus. That helps a lot!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Great advice above.

Someone once told me "Do you know what performing free shows gets you? More free shows."

I was on the same boat as you. Loved magic, just performed for family and friends, but wanted more.
I have a full time job but with allot of hard work and perseverance, I secured a restaurant on Sundays. That generated interest from the patrons to perform for birthday parties, Communions, graduations etc. I accepted the shows that fit my schedule. Over time, one restaurant grew to two then three and now I currently have 4. I've lost a few restaurants during my journey over the years to closings or managerial changes.

I was also lucky to know other magicians who called me to fill in when they couldn't make a gig and visa-versa. Look for opportunities for fund raisers, municipal gatherings, church festivals etc.
There are a ton of them. Keep your eyes open for signs or adverts. Then offer your services FOR A FEE.
You'll never get to second base without taking you foot off of first base.
Remember Have FUN. It's not about you, it's about putting smiles on the faces of others.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
dvno
View Profile
Special user
Hamburg
570 Posts

Profile of dvno
Thank you very much. That really helps and I think it's really mainly about this gaining a foothold. I don't want to make all my money by doing magic. Would this be cool though? Of course, but I have a job that I really like and the most important thing is that I LOVE performing magic. I am happy when I am doing this in a bar for a bunch of people and they like it. That really makes me happy. But of course, if I could make a bit money wiith that it would be a very nice bonus. Smile
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2020, dvno wrote:
Thank you very much. That really helps and I think it's really mainly about this gaining a foothold. I don't want to make all my money by doing magic. Would this be cool though? Of course, but I have a job that I really like and the most important thing is that I LOVE performing magic. I am happy when I am doing this in a bar for a bunch of people and they like it. That really makes me happy. But of course, if I could make a bit money wiith that it would be a very nice bonus. Smile

I hear ya.. I like my full time job as well, but I could turn magic into full time if I choose, which is a very nice bonus. I don't advertise or solicit gigs. The restaurant exposure does that for me. Check out busy restaurants/bars in your area. There are proper ways to go about selling yourself and services. Also check out the Table Hopper Party Stroller section thread. Lots of good advice there. I was 37 when I got bit by the magic bug.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to start? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL