The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Telepathy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
I think Telepathy is the type of Mentalism I want to learn when I can send thoughts and read people's minds. I want to be able to do stuff like that where you don't really have to carry props around and so on. I was wondering what books are good and any other suggestions would help.
§kitch
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Just like everybody else said in the other thread, start with Corinda. No matter which area you want to focus in, Corinda is the place to start, as it will give you the grounds in all the techniques you need to know before moving on to other stuff.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Brash
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Brash
I'll just echo Andy's comment. 13 Steps to Mentalism gives you everything you need to know. Once you understand it, and have mastered some basic skills, you will be better able to choose further studies.

Brian
liormanor
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
114 Posts

Profile of liormanor
I want to be a lawyer
Please tell me what book to read
I want to play the piano
I want to be an actor

You have to learn a lot.
Even Geller learned a lot before he became
famous. He read all the seriel boxes.

and by the way... are you good in comunication with other people???
Very important to know if you want to stand
on a stage and comunicate with others

Lior
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-07-23 14:03, Skitch wrote:
I think Telepathy is the type of Mentalism I want to learn when I can send thoughts and read people's minds. I want to be able to do stuff like that where you don't really have to carry props around and so on. I was wondering what books are good and any other suggestions would help.

Skitch

I get the distinct feeling you think there is a more "legit" way of learning this? Your perception isn't that of trickery... If I'm correct on this assumption then I think you need to PM or Email me for a brief (yet insightful) lecture. If I'm wrong on this assumption then pay close attention to what's been said and what I'm about to say...

START WITH THE BASICS... aside from the standard "bibles" of the trade I'd say you need to look into formal schooling in the fields of communications, psychology, theater, improv, etc.

On the question of TELEPATHY aside from the things you'll find in Corrinda & Annemann you may want to pick up some of the material offered by Kenton Knepper... specifically KENTONISM and a neat little (hard to find) booklet by Orville Meyer on how to stage a very cool telepathy act (sorry the title just jumped completely off that one working brain-cell I have... ) You might also find Robert Nelson's HELLSTROMISM and the Shantz book "Contact Mindreading" of interest.

BUT! Learn the basics first!

Best of luck!
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Craig's recommendations are good, but I want to emphasize something he slipped in at the end. Get the other books he mentioend AFTER you've digested Corinda and Annemann and have some real world experience with them.

Kenton and the others' work is NOT for beginners, it requires both performing experience and, often, a collosal amount of courage that is impossible to have without having already learned the basics and been out there performing for a while.
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
Corinda is the essential key text. From that you need to springboard into developing your own distinct character. Many things can help here such as acting classes, counselling - whatever enhances and accentuates your persona. And as Andy states, real world experiences with real people.

Good luck!
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
Millard123
View Profile
Regular user
Millard Longman
174 Posts

Profile of Millard123
I feel that the real world is grossly overrated and that is why I prefer to live in my imaginary world.

Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism is as good an imaginary world to live in as you can find.

I especially like Step Eleven on QA.

Millard
Millard Longman

See all my products at:
www.mevproshop.com
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-07-24 10:17, Millard123 wrote:
I feel that the real world is grossly overrated and that is why I prefer to live in my imaginary world.

Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism is as good an imaginary world to live in as you can find.

Millard

That's it Millard, encourage them all to use material that's not as simple to do as your Q&A concept Smile

I know how you older magicians think... you (we) all want to keep the good stuff to ourselves Smile

[Actually, anything you can learn about the Q&A is valuble... possibly some of the most valuable material you'll ever rely upon in this business... at least, in my experience]
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Millard123
View Profile
Regular user
Millard Longman
174 Posts

Profile of Millard123
Craig,

Reading your post here gave me my first big laugh of the day.

Of course it is only 12:45 am at the moment, so the day is young.

Thanks,

Millard
Millard Longman

See all my products at:
www.mevproshop.com
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2002-07-24 10:17, Millard123 wrote:

Millard

I also live in my own little world... but it's okay, they let me cash checks there.
Greg Smile
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Millard123
View Profile
Regular user
Millard Longman
174 Posts

Profile of Millard123
Quote:
On 2002-07-25 04:47, Greg Arce wrote:
I also live in my own little world... but it's okay, they let me cash checks there.
Greg Smile

Can you cash a couple of checks for me?
Millard Longman

See all my products at:
www.mevproshop.com
Sniper
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Sniper
Quote:
On 2002-07-23 14:03, Skitch wrote:
I want to be able to do stuff like that where you don't really have to carry props around and so on

You might want to check out Satori's very good book on Contact Mindreading (by H+R Books). You don't need to know a billet from a nailwriter in order to be a Master at this type of REAL mindreading...

Sn!per
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Yes, the Satori book is more updated and better than the others on contact mindreading, which you could skip.

But the other information is good and should come first. Especially about communicating with other people.

If it was that easy to come straight in and do a stormer telepathy act, we'd all be doing it. Nobody starts at the top. Too many think they can. It takes a lot of research and trial and error to find the most suitable material.

But then, you could just buy Dan Harlan's Mentalism in a Briefcase Act Smile

Paul.
Warlock
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
12 Posts

Profile of Warlock
Hi Skitch, read more on this at the LPP...

http://thelearnedpig.com.pa/magos/books/oneman/001.html

-- Warlock --
Man has always struggled to control his own destiny. In the end however, Fate has the final word!
Warlock
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
12 Posts

Profile of Warlock
Actually, this is the link I had in mind...

PRACTICAL MIND-READING
A Course of Lessons on

Thought-Transference, Telepathy, Mental Currents, Mental Rapport, &c.,

by William Walker Atkinson

http://thelearnedpig.com.pa/magos/books/pmind/001.html
Man has always struggled to control his own destiny. In the end however, Fate has the final word!
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-07-25 15:11, Paul wrote:
Yes, the Satori book is more updated and better than the others on contact mindreading, which you could skip.

But the other information is good and should come first. Especially about communicating with other people.

If it was that easy to come straight in and do a stormer telepathy act, we'd all be doing it. Nobody starts at the top. Too many think they can. It takes a lot of research and trial and error to find the most suitable material.

But then, you could just buy Dan Harlan's Mentalism in a Briefcase Act Smile

Paul.

Well, it is "that easy" it... as Harry Blackstone used to say "Any child of four can do what I do... after 30 years of practice..." which is the catch... right?

Contact Telepathy (a.k.a. Muscle Reading, Hellstromism, etc.) is one of my favorite techniques. I've yet to study the Satori book and rumor has it a certain well known "non-American" is adding his two-cents worth to this topic in the near future... given his reputation for psychologically based magic I'm betting his perspectives will be a MUST to us all.

BTW... I use Contact Mind Reading as part of a very cool Psychic Fair promotion. It's soon to be outlined and available through the Psychic Technologies series @ A Squared Productions (http://www.asquaredproductions.com/ )

Smile
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
Hello anyone and everyone,

I am all for helping someone out, but the links posted are part of a passworded site, one that I happen to like. Am I the only one who has a problem with this or am I just being a stick in the mudd??

Just me,

:kitty:
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I'm right there with you, Sir T. Come on guys, let's not be passing on restricted sites now. Give him the title, tell him to apply for admission to TLP, and if he's serious about it, he can find it for himself.

(Mind you, though, if it's that easy, that's some seriously lax password protection...that doesn't make it right, however.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Telepathy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL