The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Seeking info Davenport spirit cabinet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

willfay
View Profile
New user
Melbourne
1 Post

Profile of willfay
I own the spirit cabinet used by the Davenport Brothers. I have often wondered if they only ever had the one or if there are any others in existence.
There may be one at the bottom of the bay of biscay as I understand they were once shipwrecked there while on tour. The cabinet has been with my family since Ira davenport left it with Professor William Fay, after the death of William davenport, in Sydney Australia. Professor Fay was a sort of MC for their act and their business Manager, and also my great great grandfather.
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Very interesting! There is much written on the Davenport Brothers. For starters, you can purchase a book on Harry Kellar, written by Bill Miesel and Mike Caveney, which has a good amount of material on the Davenports and also discusses Kellar's association with Mr. Fay. You might find some new information there. You can send me a private message and I will be happy to provide you with more references. Best wishes, Clay
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
479 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
To the best of my knowledge there were several cabinets made for the Davenport brothers over the years. One or two were damaged when audiences rioted during their performances and often it was easier and cheaper to have a new cabinet constructed locally than to pay transport costs.

Ever considered auctioning the cabinet? You might try
http://www.magicauction.com
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
So are you also related to Anna Eva FAy-I guess you must be?
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
A nice grouping of Davenport material is up for auction nect seek at Swanns.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I know Mike Caveney has the Carter cabinet which I am sure is very similar.

I also was under the understanding that several cabinets were made for the same reasons previously stated.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
Do you have a link for the auction?
JKing
View Profile
New user
Tampa, FL
53 Posts

Profile of JKing
Mark R. Williams
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Mark R. Williams
What a cool thing to own. I sure would not part with it.

However I am confused about your question, it sounds as if you know the history of your cabinet. I would presume yours has some of the better povonance as it has been exclusivly with your family.

Regards,
M
"One more step on the pathway of Knowledge, that is if we don't break our leg crossing the street"
Charlie the Tuna
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore Maryland
111 Posts

Profile of Charlie the Tuna
What a piece of History. Can you post a picture?
Charlie
Charlie,
A Magician with Good Taste.

Only perform an illusion once. The first time is magical, the second is an education.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Guys, the post is from 2005, and it was the ONLY post this person ever made.
Charlie the Tuna
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore Maryland
111 Posts

Profile of Charlie the Tuna
Sorry I did not not the original post date.
Charlie
Charlie,
A Magician with Good Taste.

Only perform an illusion once. The first time is magical, the second is an education.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Seeking info Davenport spirit cabinet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL