The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Blaine: The Magic Way April 1st on ABC (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
596 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/arti......20200324

David Blaine has a new 1 hour special airing on ABC April 1st at 10pm est.
JohnnyShaker
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of JohnnyShaker
We need a good special! C'mon David!
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Just watched it I don't know is it me really just the same tricks from his other specials. I liked the Acaan trick with Michael Jordan & the ending with his daughter showing his softer side as a dad . Too many card tricks & some of the tricks started with crazy audience reactions but you never saw the beginning of the trick . He is a great magician why didn't he perform coin tricks, levitations, predictions , rubik cube stuff you know all the good stuff lol ! I am quoting what my wife said after the show .....
towledge
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of towledge
Totally agree with Tophatters remarks.
jsereb
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of jsereb
Was a disappointment. Kudos for A-list celebrities/sports stars but when you come down to it, there were only about 3 barely perceptible card tricks that were repeated (with jumpy camera...I wonder why) along with snippets from past specials. More time on "dramatic" spectator reactions than on the routines themselves.
Roberto Juan
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, California
45 Posts

Profile of Roberto Juan
I did find the (out of place) dramatic audience reaction clips distracting also (of course the reactions after the tricks were great). That's fine for a quick advertisement for the show, but during the show it's frankly distracting. (And maybe a bit pompous?) Although I agree there were too many card tricks, I did enjoy much of it and glad I watched.

PS - When I hear David's slow flat (often monotone) style of speaking, it makes me wonder it he's sedated Smile
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
321 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
I like the show overall but like others felt there were just way too many card effects.
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2020, tophatter wrote:
Just watched it I don't know is it me really just the same tricks from his other specials. I liked the Acaan trick with Michael Jordan & the ending with his daughter showing his softer side as a dad . Too many card tricks & some of the tricks started with crazy audience reactions but you never saw the beginning of the trick . He is a great magician why didn't he perform coin tricks, levitations, predictions , rubik cube stuff you know all the good stuff lol ! I am quoting what my wife said after the show .....

Agree completely! I was disappointed that I was wanting to see more than card tricks and celebrities reactions!
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
596 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Overall I enjoyed the special, I need to watch it again soon. I can't remember where I read it, but I believe this had a short production time, which could explain the older footage.
fcchief1
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
Same here, was pretty much just rehashed from previous shows and maybe a few clips that didn't make the cut before, so they added to this show. Yep too many card tricks, many times the same one, just different window dressing. I did think his daughter stole the show at the end. What is the effect she did, I know I have seen/read about this trick before but cannot for life of me remember when or where?? I am sure it is stacked deck to be able to memorize 5-6 cards pulled out by spec.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Rehashed yes, bu better than nothing during lockdown. Any other time may have been a different story.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have not watched anything since his first special. It is just not for me.

I really wanted to like this but rushed into production or not this bored me to tears. Obviously I'm not ther target demographic and he couldn't care less one way or the other what I think.

Good for him for being on TV.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Fcchief1, it's clear that David has taught her the Tamariz stack. This trick can be accomplished with any stack. A group of cards can be taken and the magician instantly knows, with a glimpse, which cards the spectator holds. That's it.
It's all in the reflexes.
Gennovense
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Gennovense
I still don't have any clue on how he did the ACAAN to Michael Jordan....also the trick that her daughter did on the phone was very impressive, no clue also. That's enough for me.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Gennovense, the trick over the phone with his daughter was the same as mentioned above (Mnemonica).
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
596 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
The effect Blaine's daughter did sounds like what's discussed in this thread https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......c=709754

Also, the card stab is Backstab by Zak Mirzadeh https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......c=669775
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Yes, Asi's effect is the one David's daughter performs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Blaine: The Magic Way April 1st on ABC (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL