The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » In the hands magic in the time of COVID-19 and beyond (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BryanPatrickAvery
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of BryanPatrickAvery
We've all heard that some of the most impactful magic is magic that happens in the spectator's hands. It's one of my reasons for loving sponge balls so much, in spite of my germaphobia. I now find myself revisiting my repertoire, removing things like sponge balls, the coins across phase into the spectator's hand, etc. for once we can all get out and be around one another again but it still might not be totally safe or feasible.

Am I the only one doing this, are some of you reworking your acts as well?
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
You are right. But it is only temporary. And you are a great magician because you found that miracles are good effects in people's hands.
So let's just take a break or change it up for a short time. Great insight and welcome to a great source of magical knowledge!!!! Blessings to you and be safe.
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
I am not re doing my act. My opinion only, things will slowly go back to normal. There will be those that will be overly cautious and some that will not care at all. I think we will need to be very sensitive to that. In Restaurants for example, servers will still touch menus, glasses, plates and things. So some people won't even go out. Some will.

Having said that, I do have many routines where the audience does not touch anything. So I will do that if they are not willing to allow in the hands effects.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
I have been thinking about that as well and it is hard to decide how far to go..I guess one could make sure that the audience sees you wipe everything down before they touch anything but that probably wouldn't work if you do cards, what about borrowed items...I admit so far I haven't really come up with any clear solution to the question
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
At one point in my career, I told myself that I would not change anything about my act. At the time, I was doing a lot of Renaissance Festival work. I had a couple of routines that involved "period" firearms. I observed all possible gun handling protocols to make sure that not even the most dedicated member of any pro or anti firearms group would ever complain about them.

Then 9/11 happened.

I had to drop my smashed and restored watch routine and the routine I did with Jumbo Sidekick.

Interesting that Mr. French mentions "In Restaurants, for examples, servers will still touch menus ...." Most restaurants around here are printing single use menus which are disposed of after each customer.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
“Sole Survivor”. Eugene Burger. It was among my favorite effects. I even had period props for more impact. It recalled a global pandemic...long, long ago. And then the past became the present with frightening and deadly consequences. How could one even imagine presenting that effect ever again?
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
I do a few coin routines and typically would borrow coins but I have changed the patter a bit to casually mention that with all the new technology like chips and scan cards blah, blah blah hardly anyone carries small change anymore so I always bring some but if anyone wants to examine them they can and then spread them out on the pad.

As far as initialing the coins I guess I would just have a box of wipes and wipe down the sharpie before and after...or ask them for their name and initial them myself maybe?? I guess this whole thing may put a damper on giving the spectator the item as a take away??

Cards seems a bit harder since having the spectator physically choose their card seems to be a better convincer...but there are plenty of card forces where you just show them their selection without them touching it...you lose the direct contact with the spectator which is always better...but it does avoid the touching and cleaning issue.

These are just some ideas I am been thinking about since I am cooped up for a while...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » In the hands magic in the time of COVID-19 and beyond (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL