The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Where do your rings meet? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Our IBM Ring meets at a local university that charges us $360 a year to meet in a classroom. We only have 16 members and our dues are $20.00 a year. So we only bring in $320 in dues a year, so we're automatically in the red every year. We make a little extra money by holding auctions and flea markets, but it's not that much.

I'm looking for ideas from other IBM Rings for places to meet.
I went through some Ring reports in _Linking Ring_ of other clubs and came up with these meeting place statistics:
TALLY OF RINGS AND MEETING PLACES
RECREATION CENTERS: 2
CHURCHES: 12
CaféS/RESTAURANTS: 9

Anyone have any suggestions for other possible more economical meeting locations?
I guess we could always raise our dues.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Try:

local VFW or American Legion halls
Library
Members homes (basement)
Where the magic begins
ActionJack
View Profile
Regular user
Pacific NW
120 Posts

Profile of ActionJack
We meet at a local library. We are able to reserve a meeting once a month through the local library system at no charge. Afterwards those that choose to go out for a slice of pizza or something similar.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Thank you, Dave and ActionJack. My apologies for not responding sooner.
The last couple of Ring 103 meetings have been at one of the members' church.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
StephenRoy
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of StephenRoy
Neil Foster Ring 89 is very fortunate. During non-COVID times, we get to meet at the American Museum of Magic in Marshall, MI. We do a show every year and donate a portion of the proceeds to the museum, as well as pitch the museum during our shows and place their donation box in the theater lobby. Plus, we get to do shows for their visitors at the museum in their summer season. It’s a great symbiotic relationship. Perhaps you can work out something similar with a school or library or other venue.

We meet via zoom currently, like most other rings.
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
In non-covid times Ring 13 meets in the backroom of a diner on a weekday evening. We don't pay anything to use the space, but we all order dinner or at least a drink or dessert. It's been a well-working relationship between the ring and the venue for years and years.

P!
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Veteran user
Scottsdale, AZ
331 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
Ring 55 (and Assembly 248) in the Phoenix area meet in a private room of a local Denny's restaurant. We have to guarantee at least $50 in orders for each meeting or we make up the difference, but I don't think that will ever be an issue. (Our last place, also a Denny's, had to be guaranteed $150 in orders per meeting -- which is one of the reasons we're no longer there.)

Jay
Mystery arts articles and thoughts: https://ExclusiveMagic.com
Free video crash course for numerology readings: https://LoShuNumerology.com
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Ring 76 (San Diego) has been very fortunate. One of our members arranged for us to meet in the large recreation hall at a church. The rec hall even has a real stage. Best of all, our cost to use the room is very affordable. This was shot on the day the Ring's Board of Directors met to see the rec hall for the first time.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
150 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
Super summer theater
bhavz95
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of bhavz95
We used to meet at a local church that allowed us to meet for free. We've since moved to a local college space that allows us to rent the room. Try local community centers, art centers, churches, colleges, etc.
psychod
View Profile
Loyal user
I may not be a millionaire but at least I have
247 Posts

Profile of psychod
Our Ring (186) has met in a few places due to various circumstances. We met for a while in a church classroom and also met in the back room of a diner. Our usual place to meet is in a meeting room at a fire department who generously allow us the use of the room at no cost.

Dave
Just adding my 3 cents worth because anybody can add their 2 cents worth...
thehackleguy
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of thehackleguy
Ring 211 Meets at a local steak house in Grand Rapids Michigan the fourth Monday of each month.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Where do your rings meet? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL