The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Born Standing Up by Steve Martin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I searched in vain for a post on this book. I just received it in the mail, haven't read it yet, but I wanted to start a post on it. I am somewhat familiar with Steve Martin's interest in magic in addition to comedy. My understanding is that he goes over all this in this book.

I am very curious regarding others who have read this book, and perhaps how you have applied or been inspired in your own magic and humor.

Personally, I don't consider myself a comedy magician. I see myself as a "humorous magician". That means that I can alternate between humorous moments, dramatic moments, sad moments, etc.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

KJ
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I enjoyed the book very much. It is always interesting to follow someone's journey to success. Magic, banjo, comedy writing, and his own t.v. and movie success (not to mention King Tut!) it was a great read and a fun showbiz story.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
It's a good read, an excellent show biz autobiography. Some good insights on performing. I would recommend it.

Along the same lines, Woody Allen's recent memoir , "Apropos of Nothing", talks a lot about his early fascination with magic , as well as his ongoing interest in magic, through not as a performer ... he says he got to a point with magic where he realized he was 'pretty good' at it, but would never be on the same level as the top magicians unless he was willing to put in the constant practice, like a concert pianist , to acquire a higher level of skill. But at that point in his life he was already being drawn towards comedy writing and performing stand-up comedy ,so that's the trajectory his career took. Talks about hanging out at magic shops like Circle Magic and Tannen's. Later in the book he mentions having attended a lesson in magic given by Slydini when Slydini was teaching Dick Cavett (Cavett and Allen were close friends). He wasn't taking a lesson from Slydini, but was just invited to come along to observe as Slydini taught Cavett. In the book he mentions that he still practices certain card and coin sleights for fun. (By the way, there was a long interview that John Lovick did with Woody Allen which appears in the March 2015 issue of Genii, which goes into more detail about Allen's interest in magic.)
Wez_Evans
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, UK
52 Posts

Profile of Wez_Evans
I would say it's more geared towards comedy than to magic, or even comedy magic.

But as far as general insights on performance.... I enjoyed it
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
It gives great insight on his thinking and journey.
Particularly interesting is his take on becoming truly original and how and why he did it.

Given most magicians just blurt out other people’s material , and do other people’s tricks,
there’s a lot to learn here.

I loved the book.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Anton4
View Profile
New user
Rensselaer, NY
56 Posts

Profile of Anton4
Spectacular book. I saw Steve perform when I was in college in the late 70’s, before he hit it really big. Full price tickets were $2.50 and students were $.50. What a bargain! He did some really funny and crazy bits back then.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Great book by Steve Martin. If you like that one you should read Enter Talking. It's a bio on Joan Rivers life and profession. She once was the assistant to Kuda Bux.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Of Blindfolded Driving fame. I'm curious to find out if the Amazing Jonathan has written anything about his work. You guys might know.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2021, gregg webb wrote:
Of Blindfolded Driving fame. I'm curious to find out if the Amazing Jonathan has written anything about his work. You guys might know.

Yes, that Kuda Bux. She also worked with Barbara Streisand when both of them were unknown actors. I find these type of bios fascinating.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I’m going to look for the audio download
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Born Standing Up by Steve Martin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL