The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Is there any way to accomplish this hypothetical card move? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MBAgamer
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of MBAgamer
I've been working on a card effect for sometime and there's a certain part in the effect that will be a lot cleaner if the following move can hypothetically be accomplished. I've never seen anything quite like it in the literature before (maybe there is something like it in the literature that I just haven't come across yet). Basically this is what I want to accomplish:

From the spectator's point of view there is a single card face down on the table. In reality, from the performer's point of view, the seemingly single face down card is actually two face down cards stuck together (via whatever spray or whatever sticky stuff).

I want to be able to place my finger(s) on the face down card and (very openly) slide it over to the spectator and ask them to turn it over. But in the act of sliding it over to them, I want to be able to ditch the bottom card of the two cards so that the spectator is just left with the top card (the card that they were looking at the entire time). So it would look to them like I slid over (using my finger) the one face down card to them and they flipped it over, when in reality I slid over two cards, ditched the bottom one in the process of sliding it over, leaving them with just the top card, all out in the open as they watch (nothing happens secretly, the card never leaves their sight).

I'm not sure how to go about accomplishing this. I imagine it'd require having a secret compartment on/in the table (or something like that) so that when I slide the two cards towards them the bottom card gets ditched out in the secret compartment (as I pass over it) leaving just the top card. But I'm not sure what exactly I would do and how I would do it in a way where they can watch everything happen but not see anything. More importantly I'm not sure how I would do this in such a way that would be able to slice the two cards right in between them perfectly so that the top card doesn't get caught, only the bottom card gets caught.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks.
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Black art
MBAgamer
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of MBAgamer
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2020, ThomasJ wrote:
Black art

I’m trying to do it where both cards are of colored backs (like standard blue Bikes or standard red Bikes). So the two cards stuck together would, for example, be blue backed Bicycle cards and I’d be trying to ditch out the bottom card while sliding over both cards to the spectator.
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
386 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
The principle doesn't need to be on the card.

Jim
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2020, MBAgamer wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2020, ThomasJ wrote:
Black art

I’m trying to do it where both cards are of colored backs (like standard blue Bikes or standard red Bikes). So the two cards stuck together would, for example, be blue backed Bicycle cards and I’d be trying to ditch out the bottom card while sliding over both cards to the spectator.

I guess I don’t get why a clean double lift or Tenkai palm or some other sort of steal wouldn’t work for you.
Count Hatrick
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Count Hatrick
You're right, I've never heard of anything like that. Your main problem is the stickiness, which I presume is vital elsewhere in your effect. Could you turn the card over at time? Perhaps then a variant of the mexican turnover or Paul Curry's turnover change?
ssibal
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of ssibal
Not sure how to get rid of the sticky part but if you lean over the card and use your arm as cover while sliding the top card forward you can leave the bottom card in its original location and either secretly pick it up as you retract the arm you used to slide the card or use your free hand while you have the sliding arm extended. With the right timing and some misdirection either could work.
dustrod
View Profile
Loyal user
Western Wisconsin, USA, Earth
233 Posts

Profile of dustrod
Could you pick up the double for a second (just long enough to bottom steal it) and then slide it over?
Yehuda
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Yehuda
Without any type of adhesive on the card, table the double so it stays together (Ascanio hot stove). Then your fingers can push this card forward on the table, automatically bringing the bottom card beneath your palm, and then you can slide your hand back, stealing the card away. A similar thing is used in versions of Open Travelers.

Does the trick absolutely require the adhesive to be on the cards, or were you just saying that because it’s easier fo table a double that way?

Yehuda
MBAgamer
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of MBAgamer
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2020, Count Hatrick wrote:
You're right, I've never heard of anything like that. Your main problem is the stickiness, which I presume is vital elsewhere in your effect. Could you turn the card over at time? Perhaps then a variant of the mexican turnover or Paul Curry's turnover change?

Yeah the stickiness is vital to the effect. The cards, due to the nature of the effect, would be held together via roughing material (from a roughing spray or a roughing stick or the like). So, for example, two blue backed Bicycle cards would be stuck together (via some roughing spray or roughing stick or whatever). They'd be on the table, appearing to the spectator as a single card. Now, in the act of sliding forward this double card to the spectator, I want to ditch out the bottom card. So I would need some secret opening / slit / pocket / compartment on the table. That way when the double card passes over this part of the table (as I'm sliding it over to the spectator), the bottom card disappears under there, leaving just the top card. The issue, of course, would be that ONLY the bottom card should get caught under there, the top card can't get caught under there. So to make sure that that happens, I imagine it'd be difficult. Also, since the two cards are stuck together via the roughing material, they would somehow need to be split exactly apart in between perfectly by the slit (or whatever) in the table. So to ensure that would be challenging too.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I have no idea if this suits you, but I seem to remember there was an Eddie Fechter move with a double where he threw down only the top card, kind of like a monte hype? Maybe someone else knows better what I'm thinking of.
Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of Justin R
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I think the KM move would work here.
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
Just to clarify, you absolutely need the cards stuck together right? You aren't just sticking the cards together due to a limitation in your skill level? Because if the cards don't actually have to be stuck together, there's a few options that come quickly to mind.

You can do Marlo's Eidetic Change after tabling a face down double. It would look like nothing happened except you passed your hands over the card in a magical gesture. Then you could do as you wish and push the card to the spectator with just one finger for them to turn over.

Another option would be to do a switch before laying the double down. Marlo's Miracle Switch would work very well here.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
What is happening prior to the card ending up on the table? How have you choreographed the effect?
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Luke Wolf
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Luke Wolf
Stanyon's point is vital: maybe, by changing something prior to this moment could you find an easier way to achieve what you want to achieve.... because I can't see why another known move is unable to do the trick (pun intended)
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
The Fechter move Landmark referred to is the Toss Change.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2020, Pop Haydn wrote:
The Fechter move Landmark referred to is the Toss Change.

Thanks, Pop, that's the one.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
The Toss Change is at 7:40 here:

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Is there any way to accomplish this hypothetical card move? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL