The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » A Tube Table (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Wood
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia
98 Posts

Profile of Bill Wood
I was lucky enough to have a gig this weekend and ended up making a new table. Thought I'd share the idea.

I was hired by the folks who run our water front district and was asked to 'dress exciting'. Since I have a standard, slightly clowny magic costume I decided to make a new table that would be easy to carry, quick to set up,and visually impactful in order to draw attention.

I used a Sona tube, one of those big cardboard tubes used for pouring concrete, and made some wooden circles to cover the ends. A bit of spray paint and a handle and it was all done. It is very light, sturdy and looks interesting when standing and being carried. I was inspired by Paul Daniels ATA case/table. The next step is to find a way to have the table also carry my props. For today's walk around I was working out of my pockets.

Click here to view/download attached file.
Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
156 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
That's a great idea and looks good. You could cut a "hatch" lengthwise and add hinges and a latch, or instead of hinges, attach magnets and a small finger pull to pop it open. You could hold quite a bit in there. you'd also be able to weight the foot end to keep it more stable (if that's an issue).
Bill Wood
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia
98 Posts

Profile of Bill Wood
Thanks for the positive feed back Cleverpaws.

I was thinking of putting a hinge down the whole thing and have it split open into two half circles, then I thought maybe having the top pop or pivot off revealing a bucket like storage space underneath might make the most sense.

I think I'll just have to take the plunge and decide on one option and see if my construction skills and make the idea a reality.

Adding weight to the bottom might be necessary depending on how I build it and what I plan to carry.

Luckily the tupes aren't to expensive so I can try an option and if I don't like it try another.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
From what I saw in the photo, cutting in half sounds good-maybe a small 1/4" ply plank would fit inside (12" x 24'" ??) to sit across top, held by velcro could also make the top a larger work surface. Shelf's or Compartments inside, could/would carry effects. Think,I've seen tupes a little larger?? Just a couple ideas ???
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
A larger wooden circle, as a base, could make the table less prone to tipping. A donut-shaped tabletop could allow you to access props, yet gives you tablespace. Props could reside in a canister that sits on a shelf inside the tube. All but the tube and canister would lie flat for transport.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
These tubes are so sturdy...great idea looks good
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » A Tube Table (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL