The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Is Bunco hit hard like magic performers? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
With the Covid virus hitting hard on performers, many cannot do shows to support themselves. I have not heard if bunco people, who do the shell and pea, 3 card monte and other scams are affective.

Just wondering if anyone has noticed a decrease in open air swindles on the street?
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
I don't know about America but in Berlin it put them on pause for a while.....but they're back now again but not getting the crowds they use too.

They can often be seen working the 'Eastern Gallery (Berlin Wall). Typisch eastern European gangs working each end.

However, Tourism is only a small percentage now, so I imagine their take is way,way, way down.
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Article from a few weeks ago. Sorry it's in german but you can google translate.

https://www.berliner-zeitung.de/mensch-m......mlo_xZqc

The police issued 700 tickets last year but the game goes on. The Berlin police even made a video last summer, trying discourage people from playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8mCPpxnu0I&feature=youtu.be

The gangs have enjoyed a bit of a boon the last few years, as a new group of tourists who now have money and love to gamble, have entered the scene.
I've watched them play many a time, and I think most magicians would be disappointed from a technical point of view. Most of you here have better skills when it comes to mixing. They have a couple moves and mixes they use, and that's it. But that's all they need as they are not interested in impressing you but rather in getting you to bet...and then take your money, one way or another. Sometimes aggressively.

The exception to this was a gang I saw in Paris many many years ago. They were smooth, the operator was technically brilliant, and they all played their parts perfectly.
Most of the gangs nowadays look the same, act the same, even use the same lines (just like us magicians LOL)
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Thank you for your update on that.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Zauberman, thank you.
Your post was insightful.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
No problem, the stupid people still go out.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
They're gone now in Berlin.

I wonder if they qualify for the 'Financial Assistance/Aid Program'. LOL

I mean, they have definitely been 'adversely affected financially' due to Covid

:-D
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I've noticed that with thousands, out of work, at home watching daytime TV, MGM Grand has started saturation advertising their online gambling site. Guess the big corporations really need the money.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Is Bunco hit hard like magic performers? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL