The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Knot off a loop (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

eaglescout1134
View Profile
New user
Huntington Beach, CA
2 Posts

Profile of eaglescout1134
I feel like I have seen an effect in the past where you tie a rope so it creates a loop. Then the magician proceeds to take the knot off the rope and you are left a solid loop made of rope. I have seen Pops Mongolian Rope Trick and it is not the trick I am thinking of.
Thanks
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That would require a gimmick rope, and there is only one product that you would be able to do such as an effect as that. The Instanto Rope. But it does not explain the effect you are feeling. You would have to come up with the method yourself, if you have knowledge of forming false knots.

Abbott's is the only place I know that sells it.

https://www.abbottmagic.com/Abbotts-Inst......oryId=-1
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just ran across the Instanto Rope effect, described as in your post. The rope is red color and much less expensive as my previous listing.

Enjoy your new found rope effect. Hope you get it before they are sold out.

https://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/fi......m=TB5580
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
You might have seen Mac King perform it. He covers some very clever rope tricks in his penguin lecture, an excellent purchase. I’m trying to remember if this particular trick is included, I’ll check it out when I get the chance.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
That is also one segment of George Sands wonderful Ropesational routine. It uses no gimmicked ropes.
Ray Pierce
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Eaglescout1134,

Just purchased Daryl's Rope Routine Download from Penguin Magic.

The second effect performed is the knot off loop of rope. This is a great rope routine, by the late Daryl. no gimmicks, just great handling. On the video Daryl mentions George Sands. Daryl was one that did his research at finding effects and moves and adding his talent to the effects.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5620
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Greece
637 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
You could also use the same methodology as 'knots off silk' routine.

Aldo Colombini had several routines that would possibly suit your purposes as well.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
There was a trick from Japan that was marketed using a regular rope and a circle of rope. this loop of rope was entwined in such way that it looked like you had just an overhand knot tied in the rope
You then added a rather convoluted knot (based on the Chefalo knot if I recall), when the ends were pulled the majority of the knot dissolved and the loop dropped off the rope.

It was well made and easily learned, but unfortunately, I have forgotten the actual name!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
This is killing me as I remember it so well. Was it something like O-Rope-O or something like that?
Ray Pierce
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Just a thought on the knot. I used to do the showlace effect frequently, especially with kids shows --so-so response. Parents likes it as it had "theme."
Then I started having pre-tied knot in my pocket, retrievable with the woofledust.
With the rope extended from and to foot I would slap the "mangled knot" and the palmed one would fly out into the audience. Instant hit!
Even in later Medieval settingas it was a much requested effect. Cheap give-away and I had dozen in pouch all the time.

So, give some thought to tossing the knot. Even with COVID it might have the feel of audience participation.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
725 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2020, Ray Pierce wrote:
This is killing me as I remember it so well. Was it something like O-Rope-O or something like that?

I think Ray hit it on the head with this one. I still have the ropes, but no instructions. I came across this today on Jeki Yoo’s IG Page . Not the same trick, but it reminded me of O-Rope-O.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CLLNOO7lQ......uor9wbgs
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I like your idea here. IF we really think about it, rope magic has often not used enough imagination and 3 d shapes.
There is another effect I saw recently where the knot is taken off and it becomes a square rope loop.

HOw about 'bending' a rope into the shape of a dove and producing a dove from it?
It seems that rope magic, as we normally do it, could use an injection of imagination. using it to form 3d objects as part of the effect....
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Ray was right
O rope O sounds about right!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Knot off a loop (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL