The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » By-laws and police say no license needed, does this mean I'm trouble free now? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
I did some research in my hometown (just outside of Toronto).

I checked with the City, and the by-laws and the local police, and they all said there isn't any license or permit required to perform at a park in my area.

Does this mean I'm trouble free, or is there anything I should worry about?

I don't want to set up a weekend to find out I missed something I should of looked for.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Does anyone else there perform? If so, ask them. Even if they aren't magicians, if they are performers of any type, you should be able to get some information.

But if you cant find anyone, then it usually just comes down to good common sense.

Are you being disruptive to the nature of the area? Or are you going to be blocking any traffic ways?

In other words, if folks go there to read, and feed pigeons, will your act somehow interfere with that? Also, will you be sitting on on a sidewalk that requires people to walk on the grass to get around you?

And actually, although the law is important, it is still pretty much up to the local law enforcement officer to make a judgement on whether or not you are being a nuisance.

If there is a local officer assigned to the beat, and can stike up a friendship with them, you could probably save yourself a bit of concern, and maybe get an advocate, who might even help you with hecklers. Smile

But back to the first thing I said. Ask someone who is doing it.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Here in the States, at least where I am from, we have to have a license, unless performing for a fair or other private event. However, I do not know of any event where the license was asked for here locally.

What about you Danny? Have you ever had a problem in this area?
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Many GREAT pitches in this area require no permit. Others like Harvard Square do require a permit and a $40 fee. Places like Fanny Hall use an audition process and only those who pass can perform.

Even if no permit is required if the police ask you to "Move along." you should do the smart thing and go home early. The law of the streets say, Badge and gun wins without exception. If a police officer wants an excuse to lock you up it doesn't take much. They have the law on their side off the bat.

You may win the war, but the battle on the street you will lose. If you are serious about it use the court system and the local legislature.

Only a fool messes with the men in blue. Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
In Portland, Oregon, you don't need a permit to work on a street corner, but there are some restrictions:

o You can't be heard more than 50' from where you're standing.
o You must move every hour.
o You can't ask for tips (violates the "aggressive panhandling" restriction).
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
There are countless issues that could come up ... an easy one for example, will you be doing ballon animals? If so, you may need a business licence and pay sales tax ... as someone else pointed out, many places have a noise ordance. Here in Myrtle Beach, there is a law that prohibits people from placing anything on the sidewalk - I doubt any old lady setting a bag down to get change outta her purse would ever get arrested, but if the cops wanted to get rid of you, they could easily use that law if you have a table or something setup.

Here are some links with valuable info to read up on:

http://www.balloonhq.com/faq/twister_busking.html

http://communityartsadvocates.org/

After reading the info at those links, you will know that it is your legal right to perform (at least in the US) ... cities can place reasonable restrictions on time and place of performance, but they can not prohibit "expressive speech." If they do not have a permit system in place, then you don't need one. But if an officer asks you to find a new spot, then by all means move.
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Thanks for the tips guys. This helps a lot.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-06-07 15:59, jwilder wrote:
Here in the States, at least where I am from, we have to have a license, unless performing for a fair or other private event. However, I do not know of any event where the license was asked for here locally.

That is strictly a local option. It all depends on where you are. There are no licenses needed to perform in Houston, as far as I know, but there was talk about it a few years ago. It's so hot here that nobody really does much street performing in the park or near the downtown areas, anyway.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I keep meaning to go to City Hall here in Providence and find out if licenses are needed. Being Rhode Island, I'm half afraid they'll say licenses aren't even possible! (I wonder what the WaterFire people do?)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Mandrake ... do a google search and find your city's homepage and see if they list the city laws online. Many cities do this, and you may be able to find information yourself. The City Of Myrle Beach has all city laws online (off-topic: did you know it's a $50 fine to spit on the sidewalk here?).

Even if you don't find comprehensive information, the more you know when you go in there the better off you will be.
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-06-11 23:36, JoeJoe wrote:
Mandrake ... do a google search and find your city's homepage and see if they list the city laws online. Many cities do this, and you may be able to find information yourself. The City Of Myrle Beach has all city laws online (off-topic: did you know it's a $50 fine to spit on the sidewalk here?).

Even if you don't find comprehensive information, the more you know when you go in there the better off you will be.

Thanks. I tried that once with NYC just out of curiousity and couldn't find anything, but I'll give it a try.

Well, found RIonline. No references in the code on either street performers or street entertainers. I don't think they'd thought of it.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
You don't need a license to perform in El Paso on the streets or public areas. You must stay free of the traffic or sidewalks. You do need a permit if you use a public address sytem.

The local P.D. has stopped to watch a few times and even requested something they'd seen on the telly.
~r2
Zack
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Zack
Danny,

I must respectfully disagree with you. It is important that we stand our ground against the thugs-with-badges. Busking is legal in the U.S. this has been shown over and over again in the courts, but the cops use the "badge and gun trumps goldstein vs. Nantucket logic" to intimidate people off the streets. Stand your ground, take the ticket, go to court. Amuse yourself with the exasperated look on the DA's face as he throws out ANOTHER street performing ticket. Don't back down! Stand up to the Vic Mackeys of the world.
Devoted
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
16 Posts

Profile of Devoted
Toronto and the GTA are really relaxed about it. The only places that will give you any hassle ( and I have had some issues) TTC stations (bus terminals for those outside of T.O.) and the malls. But if your sly just do some fast impressive tricks on security and you will have no problems. And if you are really bold call the head offices of SkyDome and the ACC and ask the for informal permission to busk outside the buildings. They will under a little sweet talking give you a permit to preform on their land. I told them I would incorperate their sports teams into my act and the said sure. Try it.
Looked up, there it was, gone
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Hey Devoted,

Any chance that you still perform on the street?

I would like to watch a local guy in action.
Devoted
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
16 Posts

Profile of Devoted
My partner and I are going to try and make it down to Kensington market on a couple sundays. I would love to have a couple other magicians there to check it out. I am trying to get better Critiques are always nice.

Drop me a line Davidrnolan@hotmail.com
Looked up, there it was, gone
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » By-laws and police say no license needed, does this mean I'm trouble free now? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL