The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Learning palmistry and the tarot - a few questions (29 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
A reminder that cartomancy with "regular" playing cards has been around since the late 14th century, whereas tarot divination didn't emerge until the late 18th century (tarot decks themselves arrived in the early 15th century, but had no occult/mystical/ Egyptian symbology or significance until much later). So there's an additional four centuries of tradition and experience with the former.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
It is a significant difference. I’m not sure it is a disadvantage. Sometimes the majors can sort of overshadow other cards in a spread. Also, there’s a novelty factor when reading with regular playing cards.

In the end, both are related, but do have a very different vibe to them. Pick what appeals most to you and remember to be kind. Sometimes people are really hurting and what you say can be helpful or harmful. At least be kind in what you say, even if you are not sugarcoating the message a lot. (If I see the 9 of Swords, I don’t try to play it off as a happy card, for example.)

Patrick
peculiarone
View Profile
Veteran user
Fence almost done. I've already put in
324 Posts

Profile of peculiarone
The Laws of Scientific Hand Reading by William Benham. You can find a free ebook version on Mr. Dyment's site.
The Art and Science of Hand Reading by Ellen Goldberg
Invisible Readings by Enrique Enriquez
A look at Marseille Tarot by Enrique Enriquez
The Dance by Brad Henderson.
luiscubanmentalist
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of luiscubanmentalist
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2020, Alfred Borden wrote:
Hello,

I want to learn to give reading and for the start I am most interested in learning the tarot and palmistry.
As I have no experience in giving readings whatsoever, I have a few questions:

Which of these two oracles should a beginner learn first? Or does it not matter?

Should I first learn one of these two oracles really thouroughly and then the other or is it also possible to learn both at the same time?

There are so many resources for learning these two oracles. What are some good ones for beginners?
For palmistry I am thinking of reading either Speed Learning Palmistry from Julian Moore or Quick and Effective Cold Reading from Richard Webster.
As for the tarot, I am thinking of reading The Tarot for Fun and Profit from Richard Webster or taking the Learn the Tarot in 7 Days Course from Joe Riding on angelfire.com
Are these resources any good? If so, what is the best one to start with?

Thanks.

mevproshop.com is great! I love and recommend Enrique Enriquez's Invisible Readings
Alfred Borden
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Alfred Borden
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2020, peculiarone wrote:
The Laws of Scientific Hand Reading by William Benham. You can find a free ebook version on Mr. Dyment's site.

Quote:
On Sep 18, 2020, luiscubanmentalist wrote:

mevproshop.com is great! I love and recommend Enrique Enriquez's Invisible Readings

Are the books from Enrique Enriquez also suitable for beginners?
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I only have Invisible Tarot. It isn’t for beginners. It assumes a good working knowledge of the tarot and the people skills that come from several readings. It isn’t that a beginner won’t get something from it, but an experienced reader will be able to use it much better than a beginner can.

I can’t speak about any of his other products.

In general, I advise you to pick one good resource and actually learn from it. We all want the instant method that will have us doing high-dollar performances or readings in a week. No matter how good the material, though, there is no substitute for actual experience. Learn the meanings by brute force if you have to, do some practice readings with the free tool on Deceptionary, then offer a few readings to friends over video conferencing. It won’t be long before you are ready to get paid, but if you just keep chasing the EZ Tarot for Doofuses books, you’ll spend so much time on that and take forever to get to where you can actually give a reading. Sometimes the hard way is the easy way.

Patrick
luiscubanmentalist
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of luiscubanmentalist
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2020, Alfred Borden wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2020, peculiarone wrote:

Quote:
On Sep 18, 2020, luiscubanmentalist wrote:

Are the books from Enrique Enriquez also suitable for beginners?

Yes. Invisible Readings teaches you how to read without any props. Invisible Tarot is specifically for Tarot.

I also highly recommend Kenton and wonderwizards.com
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Take your time and learn all you can. You will never stop learning and you will never know all there is to know. The resources mentioned so far are great. But also study books that were not created by magicians and Mentalists. Find the section of your local library that has books on tarot and read what’s there.

For my work the core or the reading is tarot. I supplement this with an oracle deck and sometimes read with regular playing cards instead. When the nature of the clients focus is helped by looking at their palm I do that too. Having multiple areas of knowledge is useful. I end longer readings by scrying and have found that the most specific information and the most commonly astounding responses come from this practice. When I’m just hanging out with people or after a show I commonly will give palm readings.

I think of it this way: reading with cards is the most commercial and easiest to sell. The word Tarot is an eye catcher and works to provide a platform that the clients understand. What people want is generally information to help decide about the direction they are going. They want to know about the future in some way. Cards can speak to this most directly.
Reading palms is the most social, and more like a personality test. It’s less about the future and more about them. Also it’s faster. For some reason though I find people are more drawn to card readings.
Scrying for me is the most accurate and profound but I don’t think it’s for everyone.
Learning graphology and other more “scientific” methods are great but remember that what people more often want is a mystical experience.

Learn all you can and practice. Take one thing at a time. I advice against deception in practice.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
581 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Luke Jermay is currently running a very interesting and comprehensive study on the Tarot via his Facebook page. It's free and has been tremendously helpful.
Runs about 2 hours every Sunday AM.
Highly recommended!
Today's subject will be the Death Card.
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2020, RCP wrote:
Alfred, you have asked and received much insightful information. The system doesn't really matter and you can give a reading with anything or even nothing but imagination or visualization. The first thing you need to do is develop a persona. Are you going to be religious/spiritual/etc? Are going to work physic fairs or backrooms after your shows? How seriously are going to take this and what is the end goal. Look up Scott Grossberg. He developed a system and turned it into a huge corporate motivational business. If you are into big impressive props look into the Darkboard. The system I finally fell into and felt comfortable with is Tarography by Iain Dunford. There are as many directions to go as there are people. Finally you need to ask yourself a hard question about the ethics of what you are doing. Look up all the discussions and arguments here. There are a lot of mentally ill people out there that gravitate to this kind of thing looking for answers. Even if you are just doing this for fun and entertainment, if you become good at readings, they will find you. Only you can decide.

Thank you, RCP. The 10th Anniversary Edition of The Vitruvian Square is being released in mid-November.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Wow, 10 years already? Time flies.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
So glad this will be available again! I don’t think beginners will get much from it, at least I didn’t, but intermediate readers will find VS a very valuable resource. And in a world full of beginner books, the few that take you further are that much more important.

Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Learning palmistry and the tarot - a few questions (29 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL