The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Forgetful Freddie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jdub
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of jdub
I bought a Forgetful Freddie that is missing the tie and instructions. Do any of you have the dimensions and details of the tie?
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
"Forgetful Freddy"(flat) who loses head - replaced by balloon -pop- head's back ? - OR - "TOMMY'S TIE" where there is a(flat) Boys head and cap -No tie, then cover'd // 4 ties are put into a change bag -1 disappears and is found on Tommy? Have both. Tommy's tie (on an elastic string, folded under & behind head) is a regular Child's Clip Tie ( as are the ones put in bag,) please let me know. Ralph ROUSSEAU (russo)
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
To echo what Russo wrote: there is FORGETFUL FREDDIE (various versions over the years; originated by Milbourne Christopher) and TOMMY'S TIE (from Edwin Hooper's Supreme Magic , originated by John Booth) I'm thinking what you have is Tommy's Tie, because there is no tie involved with the Forgetful Freddie effect that I'm aware of , unless you have a custom-made version where the Freddie character wears a tie (?). Although, come to think of it, a tie would actually dress up the Forgetful Freddie prop pictured below on the left, even through young boys (and many older men, too) tend not to wear ties very often these days.

There is a TOMMY'S TIE currently listed on eBay (as of today, August 17, 2020):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supreme-Magic-T......rTFdK~-f

which is where I found the photo. There is another photo on the eBay listing showing the different ties. Maybe this will help you figure out the kind of ties you need. (although I think you could use any colors/patterns of clip-on bow ties that you want)

jdub
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of jdub
Thanks Russo and David! I really appreciate your help. I bought it on eBay and was confused by the listing. See below:

This Forgetful Freddie is in good to fine condition. Made of wood and painted in bright colors. It comes
with the removable head and the base is removable for easy travel. No instructions but easy to do.

Needed: A wood bow tie to hold the balloon. It's simply a wood cut out shape of a bow tie. On the back of the tie is
attached a magnet (like the one on the front of the body) plus an eyed screw to hold the balloon.

My only question is how does the balloon attach to the magnet?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Jdub, you seem to not understand what you posted. The balloon is put in the screw eye, these are obtained at any hardware store for a few cents. They screw into wood. You may have to open the eye part a little, because you blow up the balloon and tie the neck of the balloon into a knot. then push the knot of the balloon into the eye of the screw eye. The magnet is most likely for the tie, not the balloon. The balloon is popped by the needle springing up and puncturing the balloon, and the head appears back on Freddie.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
It's been many years since I had a Forgetful Freddie , and I don't specifically remember a bow tie involved with holding the balloon on the Freddie I had. The mention of an eyelet screw seems familiar. The neck of the balloon goes through the eyelet to hold the balloon in place. I think the magnet is likely used to easily attach the bow tie to the front of the Freddie unit near the neck, with a corresponding magnet on the bow tie that sticks to the magnet on Freddie's neck area. Right ? Does that make sense? There would be an eyelet screw on the back of the bow tie where you attach the balloon. It might help if you could post a few photos of the Freddie you have .

Maybe someone else who has had one similar to the one you have will be able to chime in with suggestions.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Here's what I think you need to do. Make a wooden cut out of a bow-tie shape . Paint it or perhaps cover it with fabric to look like a bow-tie.
On the back glue a magnet that will attach the tie to the magnet on the front of Freddie's body. The bow-tie shape also has a eyelet screwed on the back to hold the balloon.

Click here to view attached image.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Jdub - is it possible for you to image YOUR freddy/tommy - so we can see which/what it is??
jdub
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of jdub
This is what I got.

Click here to view attached image.
jdub
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of jdub
Thank you Bill, David, and Russo! I really appreciate your help!

I am going to make the bow-tie with the magnet and eyelet David mentioned above.

Thanks again!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Forgetful Freddie (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL