The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » With The Band by David Jonathan & Dan Harlan (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
New effect from two great minds.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/14215

"This is absolute dynamite and will go into the working repertoires of magicians around the world!!!" - John Carey

"I love the idea of combining cards with an everyday object like a rubber band. The routine is fun and the vanish looks like CGI in front of your eyes. I am sure you will use this!" - Nikolas Mavresis

"A lot of commercial magic available isn't always exceptionally clever, just as a lot of clever magic isn't always exceptionally commercial... but With The Band has that rare balance of outside of the box thinking used for a killer workhorse effect! I love it." - Kyle Purnell

If history is any indicator when David Jonathan and Dan Harlan collaborate you get a really cool trick. Imagine being able to have a rubber band find a signed card without any gimmicks. That’s With The Band.

Here’s what happens:

A card is selected, signed, and then returned to the deck. The deck is put in the box. The magician tells the audience that he won’t be the one finding the card, one of his stretchy assistants will be. A rubber band is wrapped securely around the box. Then the rubber band
suddenly vanishes. The box is opened and the rubber band is found in the middle of the deck wrapped around a playing card that just so happens to be the spectator’s signed card. The best part? Everything can be examined.

No special gimmicks or difficult sleights. With The Band is easy to do and gets huge reactions. This trick is a great opener as well as a great effect to transition from card effects to rubber band tricks or vice versa. This is an effect that’s a real winner and it all works With The Band.
loudini1972
View Profile
New user
Central New Jersey
95 Posts

Profile of loudini1972
This look like a real worker especially if you perform with bands already around your wrist for other rubber band effects.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Hey everyone - I'm so excited to share this with you all!

For years I have used With The Band as my opener because its really quick, hyper visual and it ends clean.

Dan has added some really great touches to his handling of the effect.

TWO versions are included and each uses different methods - here is an uncut performance of what my version looks like: https://vimeo.com/454108260

The best part is both handlings have elements that are interchangeable, so you can combine aspects of each for whatever works best for you!

I look forward to hearing your feedback and will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I ordered this and I'm very glad I did. I do very little rubber band magic but this will help to add to that. It will require some practice but there's really nothing wrong with that I think it's well within the reach of the average magician. I definitely recommend it.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

TuneHV very nice handling. I may be sending you a PM if I have any questions Dan did a good job on the teaching but I will have to make sure I'm doing the right move with my index finger so be ready my friend I may have a question for you.

Good magic to all,

Eric
mavresis_n
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of mavresis_n
Guys honestly this is great! I loved it from the first moment I saw it. Super strong, easy and commercial. For $10, it's a steal...
BIGGER | PROFILE | Pr3miere | PortraIT | The Blessing | FORTUNA | Personality | Memories | The A Project | Stroop Test | CineMental | The Collector | Sumology | Zener Match | Spellebrity | Destinations | POISON |

www.mavresis.com/shop
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of aheller5
I saw this trick live its amazing and a real fooler!!!!!
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Very nice TuneHV may have to pick this up for sure !
Blueroyalty
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of Blueroyalty
I was on the fence about this one after seeing the promo trailer as I was sure bands on the wrist were a requirement. David, you helped push me over the fence by sharing your version/performance! Granted, I don't think the vanish looks as clean as Dan's version but I'm willing to overlook that for not having to wear bands. Looks like a fresh and visual card effect! Definitely buying now.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2020, Blueroyalty wrote:
I was on the fence about this one after seeing the promo trailer as I was sure bands on the wrist were a requirement. David, you helped push me over the fence by sharing your version/performance! Granted, I don't think the vanish looks as clean as Dan's version but I'm willing to overlook that for not having to wear bands. Looks like a fresh and visual card effect! Definitely buying now.

Thanks - I think you will be pleased with the methods taught.

Here's a super quick excerpt from a recent Zoom performance that shows the vanish of my version up close: https://youtu.be/Ek9y-rwsxR4

It literally gets audible gasps each time!
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
sbstgo
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of sbstgo
Amazing effect!

Does someone know if the method is similar to Herbert The Trained Rubber Band by Denis Behr?
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
There was an effect many years ago where a rubber band wrapped around a card box with a signed sticker on it, vanished and the reappeared inside the box around the entire deck. I wonder if these two could be combined?
Official Thread Killer
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2020, sbstgo wrote:
Does someone know if the method is similar to Herbert The Trained Rubber Band by Denis Behr?

I know, I know! It is not. These two routines use very different methods to accomplish a similar goal. Although, I do think you could find a way to routine them together. Also, it is possible with my handling to perform the "wipe-away" vanish of the rubber band featured in Mr. Behr's wonderful routine. I played around with it, but opted not to use it. Mostly because I want the rubber band to "vanish" and not look like it is somehow pulled inside the box. As David pointed out, that moment always surprises the spectator.
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

I finally felt confident enough with it to perform this for my wife yesterday and she said this is one of the best effects I've done for her and she said normally we see things like this on TV but this is the first time she's seen it in person. It really is a wonderful effect just practice it to where you feel confident and I believe the reactions will be great.

Good magic to all,

Eric
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2020, The great Gumbini wrote:
I finally felt confident enough with it to perform this for my wife yesterday and she said this is one of the best effects I've done for her and she said normally we see things like this on TV but this is the first time she's seen it in person. It really is a wonderful effect just practice it to where you feel confident and I believe the reactions will be great.

Good magic to all,

Good to hear. Which version did you use

Eric
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

I studied the Dan Harlan version First I am working on TuneHV. I think I may be using this version once I get it down. I'm not really into wearing rubber bands on my arms so I will be studying this and trying it out probably in a couple of days. But I really do enjoy this affect a lot it's really really good.

Good magic to all,

Eric
sbstgo
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of sbstgo
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2020, DanHarlan wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2020, sbstgo wrote:

I know, I know! It is not. These two routines use very different methods to accomplish a similar goal. Although, I do think you could find a way to routine them together. Also, it is possible with my handling to perform the "wipe-away" vanish of the rubber band featured in Mr. Behr's wonderful routine. I played around with it, but opted not to use it. Mostly because I want the rubber band to "vanish" and not look like it is somehow pulled inside the box. As David pointed out, that moment always surprises the spectator.

Great idea to combine it! Thanks for your answer!
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » With The Band by David Jonathan & Dan Harlan (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL