The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Are You Ready? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Audition

The envelope was a different size than the others in his box. No stamp or other markings either. Inside was a crisp $100 bill and a note:
Addison Theater
7PM, Aug 22, 2020 – stage door
Ask for Mr. Penny
Come as you are.

His schedule was sparse since the pandemic. Why not! Maybe an audition …

Cory arrived ten minutes early, took a breath mint, wiped off his shoes and entered the old metal door at 6.56PM as planned. An elderly gentleman with a clipboard sat on a stool. No one else was around, but he could hear people moving about in the theater. The curtain was open and he glimpsed well-spaced chairs with some folks seated or chatting. All wore masks. When he turned he discovered the old man wore one too. His dangled from his fingers as he was many feet away. “Mr. Penny,” he inquired.

The man spoke deliberately and slowly, probably because of muffling material. “In ten minutes I will dim the lights . Eight minutes later you are on.” Once again Cory looked around to see if anyone else was waiting or getting prepared. When he glanced back at Mr. Penny, he discovered that man held three envelopes clipped on the board. One was labeled $200. The second $1000. The last $5000. The man said, “You can leave now with the $100, or perform for as long as you like. When you are finished you can choose the envelope that reflects the success of your efforts.” Cory was dumbfounded. The stage was only partially lit, but he could see it was set for home scene; small dining table, two chairs, a sideboard, desk and easy chair. A stool was at center stage with a smaller table alongside sporting a tumbler and water carafe. The other furniture held a collections on dishes, bowls, baskets, writing materials, books, etc. that one might find in anyone’s sitting room. Across the back wall was a sign reading, “The Making of a Memory.”

Cory asked nervously, “Is this an audition? I am not prepared. The message said to come as you are. What does this audience expect? Do they know who I am?”

Mr. Penny’s eyes were mirthful above the mask. “At age forty-two, if you are not prepared, when will you be? You are here. Either this is the real you or someone you pretend at. I do not know why this audience is here or how long that plan on staying. My instructions are to offer you these envelopes and lock up when everyone has left.” He glanced at his watch.
Cory’s mind raced. He was a college professor in English literature. He had performed magic shows in college but now preferred demonstrations of telepathy and clairvoyance. He was a writer and a good cook. He liked biking and camping. What would interest this group of masked strangers? What could he do to justify $5000? He said, “I had better use the bathroom. It may be a long evening.”

Mr. Penny nodded toward a small door. “A wise decision.” He got up and started for the lighting controls. “Deserving a bit of help, perhaps. You asked about an audition. There may indeed be other opportunities after tonight. The key will be in the memory created and your selection of envelope. “ The lights dimmed and spectators scurried to their chairs.

Cory splashed cold water on his face. The eyes in the mirror winked back at him as he echoed, “Come as you are.”
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1039 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Slow clap.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Are You Ready? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL