The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magic for Cool Cats - Jonathan Friedman (a Magic Portal review) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
Magic for Cool Cats - Jonathan Friedman
$29.99
www.amazon.com/author/jonathanfriedmanmagic

This is the third book by Jonathan that I have been asked to review and after reading the three, I tried to come up with a one word description of Jonathan and here it is. Wacky! Ah, but that is not a bad thing. For those of us old enough to remember when Paul Harris started publishing his little books, I am sure the format and writing shook up a few of the old fuddie duddies. Well, Jonathan has accomplished the same result with his tomes.

Jonathan has been busy for quite a while making his name known and managed to score a gig a lot of us would die for. He edits the Magicana column in Genii which always has three or four juicy magic items each month. Since Jonathan took over, I think the column has been a lot more fun. And the fun aspect carries over into his books.

The first thing I noticed about Cool Cats was that the layout was drastically different from previous releases. It almost has the feel of a beginner book with explanatory cartoons drawn by, yep, Jonathan. Never knew there was some DaVinci in him. The other thing goes along with the title of the book. Each trick ends with a photograph of a cat. Seems that Jonathan contacted a few people who sent photos of their felines to be use. Mat Franco, Richard Kaulfman, Rocco Silano and quite a few more. Who knew that many magicians were cat lovers? Makes me wonder if any magi actually own a dog?

This book is just chock-a-block full of fun and creative routines for you to perform. The majority of the effects do not require any great skill. Each is infused with Jonathan's wacky sense of humor so not only will you fool your audience with these but you will have a fun time doing it. (And maybe get a few laughs along the way.) Two or three of the items I had seen published previously in the Magicana column but everything else is brand new.

Let me mention a few of the items that I particularly enjoyed.

It starts off right away with Flavor Tongue, the second item in the book. You will have to make up a set of cards using business card stock but the time is minimal. Five cards are laid out with a drawing of a lollipop on each, each a different color (flavor). One is selected by moving another card over the lineup. When this is done, the card used for the selection process is turned over and there is a happy face with its tongue sticking out. Of course, the tongue is the same color as the selected lollipop. For a kicker ending, it is suggested that you suck on a piece of candy with the matching color. You can then stick out your own tongue also matching the lollipop. Great routine for boys and girls of all ages.

Cinnamon Bear Recapitation is also a routine that will play for all ages. You bite the head off of a cinnamon bear, put it into your mouth, then throw the head back onto the bear. Easy to do, plays great and the best thing is you get to eat candy while performing it.

Fix It in the Mix is Jonathan's version of Triumph. Once again, a simple, easy to do version. In Hall and Oates Magic, he takes a card trick that I am sure you will recognize and adds it to a routine featuring the music of Hall & Oates. Eggs is a routine that features a number that turned upside down reveals that your prediction was accurate. The Sharpest Revelation Ever requires you to gaff a Sharpie but that will only take a minute of two. In Bald Spots, you use one of my favorite magic props, the Frixxion pen. And you will learn something about the Joker that I am sure will be new to most of you.

The gem in this collection is the Jenny-Jenny stack based on the 80's song "Jenny, Jenny" by Tommy Tutone. If you can remember the words, you will never forget this stack. As a music lover myself, I love this and will be using it.

If you have read Jonathan before, whether in a previous book or his Magicana column, you know this should be in your library. If you haven't, look forward to a new treat. This has found a permanent place on my shelf.
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
Speaking of Dogs , surely you have heard of Blammo. The chief moderator of the wizard magic review.
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
Will have to look that one up. Is that Bob Farmer's dog?
DonB!
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
170 Posts

Profile of DonB!
Totally agree with the above review.
Jonathan has a real gift for finding creative routines, with fun presentations.

I own all of his books and will admit, they are some of my favorites.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I’m one of cat lovers too !!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magic for Cool Cats - Jonathan Friedman (a Magic Portal review) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL