The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism & Magic on YouTube Live and Zoom (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Has anyone done an entire routine on Facebook Live, YouTube or Zoom?

What effects, individual products for sale or routines do you think best play for this style.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
No, but the term "FaceBook Live" has me in stitches. I guess that means "real time" or something, but that term is silly too.

Or "not recorded" or "unedited." Yes, I know these are common terms. They just seem weird and inaccurate to me.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I do my entire act on zoom these days.

"Best" is of course subjective. What I have done is simply take my parlor act and work out what needs to change method wise to be able to do it via zoom. I also try to stay away from what everyone else is doing, so that means no invisible deck, no astor mental, etc. I won't list the exact effects or products I am using in my show, since I'm using them, but I will say that it's not too difficult to adjust what you're already performing for zoom with a little trial and error. A lot of people will never do the work needed here though, and stick with things that are simple and thus over done. Invisible deck comes to mind.

I'll share an example though. I was thinking of cartomancy and how I would like to include my cartomancy set into my zoom show, but the audience may assume that when I hold up the cards to the camera for them to choose one that I am getting a glimpse some how, even though my head is turned away perhaps I have a hidden screen somewhere and I am getting a peek. So, it became important to make sure it was known that I could not, in any way see the card. So that was the first hurdle. The answer to that, for me, was to perform the effect blind folded. Cool. This took care of the problem of the audience maybe suspecting I am getting a sneaky glimpse. However, I still need to somehow find out what card they were thinking of.

Playing around for a little bit I realized that I had the solution right in front of me so I sat down and started practicing and turns out it works. So now a part of my act involves a 3 person cartomancy read, where I barely touch the deck and any time I do I am wearing a blindfold which only comes over after the cards have been squared up, cut, and left fact down on the table. From that moment on I never touch or look at the cards, but instead start to reveal things associated with the cards and give a reading. Only after the reading do I pull out the cards I feel were selected, almost as an after thought.

Drawing duplications are another one which go over very well on zoom. I go back and forth on which style I perform, mindreader as mindreader or spectator as mind reader. Both get great reactions.

I think the value is in the excercise of looking at your material, and the new performing media, and seeing how you can create workable material. I think it would be a diservice to just list effects that can be done, rather than encouraging you to dissect what you're already doing and what options and limitations are available to you. I feel that doing virtual shows actually allows me many more options than it does limitations. There is a lot I can get away with in a zoom show that I can't on stage.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I highly reccomend Colins Cyber Secrets to get your mind spinning
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
I have been performing a full 45 minute act
I began evaluating my regular routines to see what can be modified for ZOOM, then added some things that ZOOM afford you a luxury of doing. That was the easy part. Adjusting a tempo and engaging with people over a computer and competing with distractions not present in live stage scenarios and controlling the flow was more trial and error and experience. It was almost like starting over and learning from each show. By the way my act is what I consider 100% Mentalism and no ID in my act. I have done 25 paid engagements and 5 or 6 test runs earlier on. Some of my performances were for as few as 12 screens and some upwards of 350 screens. It can be done but will definitely take adjustments in material, presentation, tempo, and learning the platform (not to mention lighting and sound). I will add that I found 80% or so of my "stage" or in person material to be suitable with limited modification. I will not go into much more detail.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism & Magic on YouTube Live and Zoom (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL