The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Those 'simple' tricks with enormous impact (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Proximo
View Profile
New user
Belgium
96 Posts

Profile of Proximo
So, when I look at the sticky topic on top of this forum and when I search through the Quicksearch or when I use Google, I always find topics like 'what is the easiest/your favorite self-working/...' trick. I've got a different kind of question since I cannot find a topic that's covering my question.

Yesterday I was reading in Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond, and I was looking at his 'Do as I Do' trick.
The sheer simplicity of this effect is beautiful. It looks like asbolutely nothing happened yet the result is amazing (at least, in my opinion).
So, I've read a long time ago in another topic about the "magic fix" we're always searching for.
That, and the fact that we (at least: I) are constantly practicing great tricks which do require some sleights or memory work (like 'the first Elmsley count is a normal one, but remember to put the last card on the bottom with the second Elmsley count) raises my question: other people here who are sometimes "struck" with these very basic effects?

Does this sound familiar? So basically I am going through my "simple list" for the moment, "quickies" if you will, think that I cannot overlook these gems. (I realise presentation is an important part, but still...).
Mystic Pudding
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Mystic Pudding
As an amateur I've started to really focus on the simple effects. I've discovered that I've been repeating a pattern of learning new tricks, getting pretty good at them, then forgetting them after enough time passes. If I don't regularly practice an effect that has more than a couple of sleights it will get fogging in my head and I wont want to perform it. The good news is that there are a number of good simple tricks out there but finding them certainly takes a bit of effort.
Betrayal Mix
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Betrayal Mix
If you're asking for 'simple' tricks that are astonishing, Fulves' Quick as a Wink and (any) Out Of This World are two classics I keep in the repertoire [the latter requires a lot of setting up, however].
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Not impromptu versions like Lorayne’s.
Betrayal Mix
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Betrayal Mix
Sorry, I should have been more explicit about that - I meant you would have the OoTW deck already set up with r*d and bl*ck c*rds m****ing - a beginner certainly wouldn't be able to sort them on the fly in front of an audience while making patter as well.. .. how do I know this? Because I can't .. .. and I'm a beginner!
MothMan
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MothMan
Betrayal Mix

Please check out Harry Lorayne's Impromptu Out of This World in his My Favourite Card Tricks.
You do not need to set up the reds and blacks on the fly. If you read it you'll see what I mean.

Best, Motte
Betrayal Mix
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Betrayal Mix
Thanks MothMan, I'm new to magic so I'm trying to pick my sources very carefully. A lot of people have recommended 'The Magic Book' by Harry Lorayne as it was originally written with the general public in mind, so out of respect for that idea I'm starting with Issue #1 of Apocalypse and working my way forward - I'll let you know when I come across it!
MothMan
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MothMan
Betrayal Mix

Good for you,The Magic Book by Harry Lorayne is a superbly written introduction to card magic and also other forms of magic ( coins, mentalism etc ).There are other great entry level books of course, but I would seriously recommend The Magic Book to anyone starting out. Whenever I get stale and need some inspiration, I open a Lorayne book. Works every time.

Best, Motte
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
My absolute favorite card trick is Pop Haydn’s Chicago Surprise. Because it can go two ways, there’s a bit of practice needed to be smooth. I highly recommend his video on this trick. It does include a pdf of the instructions, but the video has a wonderful explanation of the why behind the how. That discussion is well worth having.

If you want general tricks that work well, I like Card Through Handkerchief and a simple control with a surprise revelation (see Patrick Page’s video Reveal a Card).

Patrick
ipe
View Profile
Special user
513 Posts

Profile of ipe
Hi Proximo.
In Paul Curry's Worlds Beyond, take a look at The Truth-Telling Joker. Smile
What would a real mindreader do?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2020, ejohn wrote:
Not impromptu versions like Lorayne’s.

Could you elaborate on this remark?
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
I was saying only that Lorayne’s OOTW and, I think, some other versions do not require a setup as Betrayal Mix stated several posts above.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Oh I see. I used to do this one quite a bit.
Betrayal Mix
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Betrayal Mix
It was one of the first tricks I learned (no, really), but I only learned the tedious ordinary set-up way [though it can then very easily be reset for a repeat performance - especially handy if you're doing the trick for Winston Churchill].

Now that I'm tentatively taking the steps to learning card manipulation, the concept of being able to perform an illusion like this via an impromptu handling is ever so tempting .. but one must crawl, before one can walk, of course...
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Betrayal Mix, Lorayne’s Impromptu OOTW requires no sleight of hand. It’s all subtlety and brilliant.
Betrayal Mix
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Betrayal Mix
Oh, thanks ejohn, I'll hafta crack open my copy of Classic Collection and give it a proper read (for some reason I thought it required extensive culling)..
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
You know why I write my books?? For you to READ.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
ParkinT
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL USA
82 Posts

Profile of ParkinT
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2020, Harry Lorayne wrote:
You know why I write my books?? For you to READ.

And I honestly believed it was in order to not forget the innumerable effects and techniques you have mastered.

(Somewhat tongue-in-cheek, as a big fan of all your works on memory)
Betrayal Mix
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Betrayal Mix
You're not truly on the Magic Café forum until you've been asked by Harry to read one of his books.

Thanks Harry, I'm currently having a blast flicking through Close Up Card Magic! I can't wait to find your impromptu OOTW, however!
John7
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of John7
I been playing around with Weight Guess by Nick Trost. It's in The Card Magic of Nick Trost - the last variation (where the cards are all face down). Spectator cuts off a chunk of cards from the deck. You pick up that chunk in your right hand and hold the rest of the deck in your left hand and weigh them. You thumb off cards from one hand until you say they are now both the same weight. You also announce how many cards there are in each hand. Then you thumb them off one at a time simultaneously with each hand to show there are the same number in both packets. Extremely easy, works perfectly every time and looks exactly like you are doing what you say you're doing - weighing two packets of cards in your hands. Instantly repeatable (and probably gets stronger with repetition because people will scrutinize more each time but still not see how it's done). Awesome trick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Those 'simple' tricks with enormous impact (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL