The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » "Sum it Up" (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
I have never seen this mathematical principle used the way it is in Adam Hudson's "Sum It Up." https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/14702 Very interesting! Who else has used it like this?
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
508 Posts

Profile of hcs
I described the well known mathematical principle in my book Melencolia I. This kind of a !@#$**g m****x dates back to Walter Gibson, 1938 and was put into print by Maurice Kraitchik: „Mathematical Recreations,” pp. 182 - 192; W.W. Norton and Company Inc, New York, 1942.

The card part is based on a me******d or s******d ***k plus clever handling of the ****r to get the right place.

Chapeau for the thinking and handling of that combo by Adam Hudson!
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Picked this up yesterday, it's a straightforward 6 page PDF. I like brevity.

The s***k Adam suggests makes the mental work very, very simple - easily done in the "heat of the moment" of performing.

In an effort to make the math super simple though, the s***k doesn't really allow you to turn the cards face-up while counting. But with a little effort, I found a simple way to use any me******d ***k. There's just one added step of math - but again, it's very, very simple.

The end result is that you can use your me******d ***k, turn the cards face up while counting and then when you put the deck back together, you're still in me******d ***k order and reset to go again, or move into another me******d ***k routine.

For the price, if this kind of stuff interests you in any way, it's well worth the price. Well done Adam Hudson!

PS: If you've bought this through Penguin, I posted my process of using a me******d ***k in the forum.
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2020, hcs wrote:
I described the well known mathematical principle in my book Melencolia I. This kind of a !@#$**g m****x dates back to Walter Gibson, 1938 and was put into print by Maurice Kraitchik: „Mathematical Recreations,” pp. 182 - 192; W.W. Norton and Company Inc, New York, 1942.

I learned a little bit about the !@#$**g m****x a few months ago -- it was new to me then, and I enjoyed what I learned about it. But then when I saw how Adam Hudson was using it in this trick, it seemed to my untutored eyes to be a new departure. He derives the necessary !@#$**g m****x so easily and quickly, during the performance of the trick. I didn't know you could make one up with so little trouble. Smile
alea
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of alea
Thanks for the interesting topic!
Is this routine present in Adam's OUT OF MY MIND book?
saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of saxonia
Nice idea!

So instead of an ACAAN, we have what can be called "ACAFN" here. Is anybody aware of other "ACAFN" routines?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » "Sum it Up" (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL