The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ending for color changing knives (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I have a set of three knives and the scotty york knives. Can anyone suggest a good way to end the routine. If you can be specific as to the ending (with out exposure) then I would be most appreciative. I.E. the ending of the routine from the spectators view. My routine ends with all three knives out from the scotty york routine. I'm not happy with my performance of the the gypsy switch at this time. Thanks for any advice.

Michael
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
I do a final transformation with one of the knives, then offer it to the specator, doing a shuttle pass in the motion. So they examine the regular knife. I put the other one away. So all that's in play is a regular knife. I get it back and to show it's still magic, I do a couple of sleights from coin magic (jumping from hand to hand etc). At the end, I make it vanish using a modified Flip stick move.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Sorry - I can't look in the trick section and I will post it later...

Look in secret sessions and I posted two color changing knive endings. I don't do the knives anymore and do my DieNamic Diamonds instead. That routine is on my new DVD... Along with my shellgame routine...

I hope this helps...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
magicmonkeyphoto
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of magicmonkeyphoto
What about vanishing the knives, or "morphing" them into other items that you can then use in your next routine?

Lincoln
http://www.lincolnworld.com/products -- For high end mentalist utility devices, ideas, and props for professionals and serious hobbyists. You can follow me on Instagram @Lincolnworldmagic and on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LincolnWorldWatchers
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Ending? Ending? Why must every routine have an ending? Why not just stand there and make the knives change color for a couple of hours? Your audience could probably use the sleep.

Just kidding.

I like Nick Niberco's routine, which is a transposition instead of a color change. It is very effective.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Magic Marty
View Profile
New user
Illinois
80 Posts

Profile of Magic Marty
I basically roll the knife into my pant leg, have the spectator hold the knife through the fabric, then pull the pant leg tight again, and the knife seemingly penetrates into my pocket. I remove the knife from my pocket and let the spectator examine it.

I'd hate to give to much away, but I'm sure you can figure this one out. If interested, PM me.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The pants leg switch is one I've been doing since 1950.

However, to original poster, what's wrong with the Kaps Routine that came with the York knives? If it was good enough for Kaps... I mean, he was the master of routine selection. Nobody better.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Nothing is wrong with the kaps/york ending. I am still working on the gypsy switch and was hoping for an easier ending until I get it right. I am at the point in the routine where three knbives are showing and a spectator has "trouble" placeing the odd knife in the middle of the other two. I will be ending the routine by switching out the three knives for a red swiss army knife. My line will be in the vein of ,"The small knives are nice but to do any real work you need the red one." Pause -- then reveal the red swiss army knife in the hankerchief or bandana.
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Stephen Barney
Have a look at the Whit Hayden Routine its called the Intricate Web of Distraction I think its one of the best routines I have seen and it makes so much more of the routine than just changing colour back and fourth aimlessly as Bill Intimates. There is a great vanish done closing the blade.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I've always ended the routine with Jose de la Torre's Smash Climax knives. I wish they were still manufactured so I could replenish my dwindling stock.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Larry, Joe Mogar makes a beautiful set of knives for the smashed climax...very very pricey though. And right now, I can't think of them...but there is someone else making a not so nice set as well.

Mike
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
http://www.stevensmagic.com has the mini knives... I have a stash of the De La Torre mini kives and I have a full set of Tamariz knives, including the minis. PM me with an offer I can't refuse.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Hey Mike, thanks for the posting! I've seen the Mogar knives and they're beautiful but they're not close enough in appearance to the color changing knives I use so they won't work for my routine.

Pete, thanks, I'll PM you!
A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
314 Posts

Profile of A.J.
Check out Ronjo...they used to make the mini knives. I bought several sets a few years ago from them. I think they are even advertising the company now in
Genii Magazine or Magic.
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

I started to do the knife through pants that magic marty suggested. The reaction so far has been very positive. My wife was amazed and my business partener wanted to strip search me. Thanks for the information.
Thanks to y'all for your input. BTW I will be getting Whit Haydin's Routine in the near future.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Kaps used a Gypsy switch to a roll of candy mints to close his routine. It was published in the FYEO Series by Scotty York.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Once you have the red knife, instead of the candy mints try they Gypsy Switch for a pack of Big Red gum. I'm sure you can find some verbal word-play to go with it.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-07-08 16:26, Pete Biro wrote:
Kaps used a Gypsy switch to a roll of candy mints to close his routine. It was published in the FYEO Series by Scotty York.

I have this routine and have been working on it. However, for impromptu, carry props in my pocket type stuff, It is easier to carry three smaller knive=s then three or four knives a hankerchief and a swiss army knife.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Pick up a paint brush, dip it into some "paint thinner" and paint a knife that has two colors on one side into a solid color. Then hand it out and vanish the brush on the off beat.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Jb magic have a nice finish called smudge where the colours that you changed on the knife now go half and half and smuged in the middle and they can be handed out.
Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ending for color changing knives (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL