The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Fast notation for coin magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ralph Cos
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Ralph Cos
The symbolic matrix app empowers you to systematically study coin matrix effects and coin tricks from chink-a-chink to coins across and more.
https://apps.apple.com/de/app/symbolic-m......814?l=en
Check out this new perspective if you are serious about your approach to this wonderful category in magic.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
What are the advantages and cons of this?
Ralph Cos
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Ralph Cos
Notations intend to facilitate the depiction of technical facts. By agreeing to a set conventions (symbols, characters, abbreviations) we can shortcut lengthy descriptions. In our magic discipline new ideas or ideas in books or videos can thus be expressed in a concise manner.

A symbolic document gets you much better into the flow when you rehearse and iterate over the details of a matrix effect. A large number of actions are depicted at a glance. You can immediately step through many variations without having to rewind videos or reopen the books. I draw the anology to music notes, math symbols, engineering flowsheets, soccer or football tactic boards etc.

A symbolic notation complements books and videos.

I believe the benefit of a notation is evident. We probably all use notation the moment we make notes on paper using circles, arrows, numbers.

The advantage of using an app instead of paper and pencil is less pronounced. Digital formats can easily be edited, corrected, copy/pasted. The given, fixed and hardcoded set of features also helps to establish a uniform application of symbols, it helps to align within the community. The paper and pencil approach, on the other hand, gives you more freedom to express things in your own way - freestyle! Overall, we have seen a tendency towards the digital format over the last decades. These days, poets use Word, and poetry is often read on ebooks. Back to the magic notation, I personally prefer my digital documents over my old early hand drafted symbolic documents. I add touches, correct an imprecision, or change a colour. But I still like paper, and often print out the documents.

The pioneer of magic notation is - who else!? - Juan Tamariz and reading his "Symbolic Method" publication is an inspiring experience.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Apple. Ha! Never in a million years! Guess I miss out. Windows/Android ONLY here! Sorry.

Doug
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2021, Ralph Cos wrote:
Notations intend to facilitate the depiction of technical facts. By agreeing to a set conventions (symbols, characters, abbreviations) we can shortcut lengthy descriptions. In our magic discipline new ideas or ideas in books or videos can thus be expressed in a concise manner.

A symbolic document gets you much better into the flow when you rehearse and iterate over the details of a matrix effect. A large number of actions are depicted at a glance. You can immediately step through many variations without having to rewind videos or reopen the books. I draw the anology to music notes, math symbols, engineering flowsheets, soccer or football tactic boards etc.

A symbolic notation complements books and videos.

I believe the benefit of a notation is evident. We probably all use notation the moment we make notes on paper using circles, arrows, numbers.

The advantage of using an app instead of paper and pencil is less pronounced. Digital formats can easily be edited, corrected, copy/pasted. The given, fixed and hardcoded set of features also helps to establish a uniform application of symbols, it helps to align within the community. The paper and pencil approach, on the other hand, gives you more freedom to express things in your own way - freestyle! Overall, we have seen a tendency towards the digital format over the last decades. These days, poets use Word, and poetry is often read on ebooks. Back to the magic notation, I personally prefer my digital documents over my old early hand drafted symbolic documents. I add touches, correct an imprecision, or change a colour. But I still like paper, and often print out the documents.

The pioneer of magic notation is - who else!? - Juan Tamariz and reading his "Symbolic Method" publication is an inspiring experience.

It doesn't look like a polished product and I am not sure how you can integrate these with your other media.
Ralph Cos
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Ralph Cos
You are welcome Andy, in any case thanks for asking and sharing your thoughts.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
How might this help us duplicate the scooby-doo chase scenes where characters go running in and out of doors in a hallway?

or re-routine cube-a-libra?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Written magic instructions are already a type of symbolic depiction along with diagrams which are another type of symbolic depiction. I'll mention Harry Lorayne in the Apocalypse to have shortened magic teaching of a written nature to a level of accessibility that if you were to simplify any more would not make sense, but as-is does make sense. In other words, written descriptions by some writers go on-and-on, and those should study editing. We're going through a phase where few read and many only can learn from DVD's or such, yet some still read. People are reading the Steve Forte books, and Mike Rubinstein's coin book. Magic, of all things, needs redundancy of a sort...if you say move that hand to the left, people will wonder which hand. Having to say move the left hand to the left is necessary to do the sleight-of-hand correctly. If you reduce too much, confusion, not learning will occur. In my humble opinion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Fast notation for coin magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL