The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best walk Around Deck Switch? (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Osyris706
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Osyris706
Thinking about using a memorized deck. I want to have two on me so if someone wants to shuffle I can let them....and then switch the deck, haha.

Question is what are some of the best decks switches that don't require a table?
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Do a few great card tricks, then put the deck in your pocket for a coin trick then pull out the other deck for one more card trick. Keep it simple.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
hbenod
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of hbenod
I agree with MeetMagicMike, keep it simple. I have a blank CD or DVD disc in the jacket pocket - to be used as a divider. The "cold deck", in this case the Stacked Deck is in the outside compartment. When you finish with the first deck leave it in the inside compartment - closer to the body, this is the "HOT DECK", do the coin routine etc. and then, when you finish pick the deck in the outside compartment and continue from there. This tip I learned from my friend Woody Aragon and has worked very well. The CD or DVD is of a size that makes the management of these two decks very easy in a standard jacket pocket. Spectators won't suspect and you may continue the routine with the MEM deck without even shuffling as they have seen the previous deck in use as shuffled . "Do not run when you're not being chased"!!
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
In my experience doing walkaround, I completely agree with the above advice.

That being said, if you really are looking to do a deck switch in mid-performance, then a deck-shell like one used in Blizzard would do the trick, as would the Cooler by Christian Engbloom or Cold case by Greg Wilson.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Using the memorized deck means that there is absolutely no risk of being caught. The only risk is that someone will want to shuffle and you just do another trick.

In that case my advice would still be to keep it simple but switch the deck out while searching for the coins and ask a spectator to hold the deck for you because "We'r going to need that in a moment". No risk and no one will even remember it went to your pocket.

Resist the temptation to say "look these cards are in np particular order".
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Magic Mike, I have found what you are saying really works. Searching for something with both hands while holding something to switch out, while looking for something else. If you do it casually it is very natural. And it just flies by people.
It may depend on your performing style and how natural someone can do this.

With a deck shell, for instance, people can be burning your hands and the only thing that works for me is a rare stunning switch with it....
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
My Switcheroo Deck Holdout switches decks while strolling! Otherwise honestly I agree with what these guys have said above. If you have decent audience management skills you could easily switch the deck without needing a gimmick or any sleight of hand.
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
Dutchie
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dutchie
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2021, Osyris706 wrote:
Thinking about using a memorized deck. I want to have two on me so if someone wants to shuffle I can let them....and then switch the deck, haha.

Question is what are some of the best decks switches that don't require a table?

Hold deck in one hand. You need a pen for card to be signed. Tap outside pockets. Nothing. Put both hands in jacket pocket. Come out with pen in one hand and switched deck in other. Carry on.
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1022 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2021, hbenod wrote:
I agree with MeetMagicMike, keep it simple. I have a blank CD or DVD disc in the jacket pocket - to be used as a divider. The "cold deck", in this case the Stacked Deck is in the outside compartment. When you finish with the first deck leave it in the inside compartment - closer to the body, this is the "HOT DECK", do the coin routine etc. and then, when you finish pick the deck in the outside compartment and continue from there. This tip I learned from my friend Woody Aragon and has worked very well. The CD or DVD is of a size that makes the management of these two decks very easy in a standard jacket pocket. Spectators won't suspect and you may continue the routine with the MEM deck without even shuffling as they have seen the previous deck in use as shuffled . "Do not run when you're not being chased"!!

This is a game changer of an idea! Tried it and it works like a dream. And to think, I was going to quit the MC today. That post just kept me in for another three months.
Prahlad
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Prahlad
Have you heard of Roberto Giobbi's excellent book The Art of Switching Decks? There are several methods in there for you to choose from.
Osyris706
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Osyris706
Lots of great ideas here. Thanks, guys.

And I'm gonna have to check out Giobbi's book Prahlad, thanks.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
Another method would be to put the deck in your pocket at the end of the illusion and then do a packet trick like 6 card repeat which doesn't use a deck. When you are done retrieve whichever deck you want from your pocket.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Marlo had a ruse to help the deceptivity of the switch. Leave the jokers on the table and use the main deck. Put the deck in the case and put it into your pocket. As an afterthought, immediately pull the new deck (the one to be switched in) out of the pocket and put the jokers into the case with the deck. Leave it on the table as you segue into a coin trick or rubber band trick etc. Now you're set. Don't say anything like "oh I forgot the jokers." The entire thing takes place in the background as you're talking to the specs.

Mike
Topper2
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Topper2
Do a trick which involves writing out a prediction on a slip of paper which you leave face down on the table. At the completion of the trick you ask the spectator to turn over the the paper and reveal the prediction. All eyes are on what is happening with the slip of paper so you have plenty of opportunity to collect up the card box in one hand, the deck of cards in the other hand, and with this latter hand you pick up the pencil you used to write the prediction and put it in your pocket leaving both pencil and pack in your pocket whist pulling out the set-up deck you are ringing in. If any one is looking at what you're doing it seems as though you just put away the pencil with the hand that held the pack. Finally you can put the cards back in the box and leave them in view ready for the effect that needs the set-up deck. No one notices what you're doing anyway 'cos their minds are too busy contemplating the denouement of the prediction trick.

Of course if you're doing walk around where there is no table or anywhere to put down a prediction, pencil and deck, then you can still use the prediction idea as a bit of misdirection but you'll have to rethink how to handle it.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
I use something similar to the Marlo idea that Mike mentioned. I "forget" where the card box is located and put my hands in my jacket pockets. My left hand holds the deck in use and drops it in my left pocket. My right pocket holds the cooler. Both hands emerge simultaneously as a member of my audience notices I left the card box on the table. If someone doesn't mention this, I notice it myself, e.g. "Silly me, it's on the table!", as my hands are removed from my pockets. The pack can be cased and dropped on the table, or you can do "one last trick" before putting the cards away.

The misdirection that the box causes will cover the discrepancy of the pack being removed from the wrong pocket. This switch seems bold, but it works well. Having the decks in separate pockets also avoids confusing one pack for the other, e.g. you can always keep your mem deck in your right-hand pocket.

Marty
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
Another vote for Giobbis' book, lots of good methods in there. They did publish a version that also included a video, not sure if the current ones, do but the video is helpful as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best walk Around Deck Switch? (10 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL