The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Tamariz for Non-Magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Kokot
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of John Kokot
Although I have read Juan Tamariz's estimable books, I am not familiar with his videos. With that in mind, any help in answering the following question would be appreciated.

If an audience composed solely of non-magicians were to witness a 30-45 minute segment consisting only of performances (no explanations), which one of Tamariz's many DVDs and downloads would most entertain and impress these lay spectators with his artistry?
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Tamariz the thinker is top-notch. Tamariz the performer is a bit of an acquired taste.

Personally, I like him, but not everybody I know responds well to what he has to offer. The manic nature of his performing persona doesn't appeal to everybody, and a lot of his presentations have a challenge-effect aspect that some feel is almost anti-magical. Finally, he's frequently using a lot of the usual stereotypical magic props.

Objectively, his strengths are audience-involvement along with fair and convincing conditions. If you can get past his stylistic quirks there's good stuff there, and if you actually LIKE his stylistic quirks then he's going to be one of the all-time greats.

Magicians are, more often than not, going to love him because we're a relatively sophisticated audience -- we've seen lots of magicians perform lots of magic tricks, we know the classics and the variations, and we appreciate novelty. Your average person watching a magic trick live is somebody watching it live for the first time, and can be a little bit less predictable in terms of what they'll respond well to.

If you're looking to show his stuff to some friends to see what they think, total coincidence and el cochetito ought to be enough to get started. I suspect most people would make up their minds on whether they like him pretty early.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I agree with all the above.

I just have to say, I find the question itself rather odd! What is the thinking behind it?
Since the audience are not magicians, of course you would not want to show them explanations - but why even mention it?
So you have a bunch of non-magicians you want to show a performance . Why Tamariz in particular?
I'm sure you have good reasons, but if you share your thinking you might get more relevant answers
magojose|
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of magojose|
Show them his FISM act on YouTube.
Then you can search trough all his material available at Magicana web site where you can see him performing for TV not for magicians
SG01
View Profile
New user
Austria
1 Post

Profile of SG01
I still remember to this day when I first saw his videos "Lessons in Magic" for the 1st time (more than 25 years ago). I was almost a layperson then, and I was absolutely blown away. 2 years ago I saw him live doing magic for a lay audience and everybody loved it. He was doing his "thought of cards across" among other tricks - simply incredible!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Tamariz for Non-Magicians (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL