The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Type of Second Deal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
In Ortiz's routine called the Ultimate Interchange, p. 153 in At The Card Table, he states "execute a necktie second deal." I get it that it refers to a second deal, but what the heck is a "necktie second deal"? From what I have read in the Café, I think that to necktie a deck is to raise the deck up close to one's chest, with the deck turned so that the top card is hidden from view. Is the necktie second deal simply second dealing from that position?

Explanations and possible resources would be welcome. Thanks for your input.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Yes, nothing more to say about it really. You just tip the pack towards yourself, rendering the deal invisible. Don't tip too much so that they can see the card if it is one you wish to remain unknown.

Many people use a Strike Second Deal when they necktie the deck, but it will cover any sort of second.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thanks Tortuga. Need not say more.

Cheers,
Teddy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
"I think that to necktie a deck is to raise the deck up close to one's chest, "

Not quite. It needn't go near that high.
Like Tortuga said, just tilt it back slightly out of view
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
As above,you don't tilt the deck up to the point it looks unnatural or silly...its just a slight raise upwards of the deck
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
OK, thanks. I just thought it meant to bring the deck near where your necktie might be. I like the alternative better.

Cheers,
Teddy
Yehuda
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Yehuda
It shouldn’t go anywhere close to your necktie. The name comes from the position of the hand, which is tilted upward slightly (as everyone has said) as though it were adjusting the knot of your tie.

Yehuda
mightytimbo
View Profile
New user
Franklin Park, NJ
49 Posts

Profile of mightytimbo
Isn't this always recommended for a strike? A slight upward motion when the hands come together to cover the action? Is this typically referred to as a necktie second-strike? This is just how I was taught.
ssibal
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of ssibal
The purpose of a necktie is to hide a poorly executed second deal. If you can do a proper strike or push off, you will not need to resort to a necktie technique.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2021, ssibal wrote:
The purpose of a necktie is to hide a poorly executed second deal. If you can do a proper strike or push off, you will not need to resort to a necktie technique.

Not necessarily. It has several uses and is sometimes used to hide face up cards.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Quote:

Well then, for now, a necktie second deal it is. Thanks for the perspective.

Cheers,
Teddy
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
Quote:

Even some of the greats recommend a very subtle necktie at the right moment for shade. Don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about bringing the deck up vertical but a tilt just enough to aim the edge of the deck at the spectators eyes is powerful. The top only goes out of sight for a split second. No pun intended but I'll take it.
AceOfShades
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of AceOfShades
A subtle motion is okay, especially if you always do that when dealing. But do keep it natural looking and don't do the thing where you hold your hand completely steady but then tilt the deck like 45 degrees when you start dealing seconds. The first thing I notice when I see bad second deals is an unnatural necktie motion, so it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine that I'm trying not to pick up when learning. I've seen (well, technically not seen) great seconds with hands held steady as a rock.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Type of Second Deal (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL