The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Eddie Joseph "locator" card (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Hello,
Just picked up Eddie Joseph's "The Blind Magician Does a Trick" wherein he describes his recommended locator card which is a 1.5 thickness thick card. The reason for such a locator is two fold. Short cards may require tapping and other "fiddling" that can ruin the effect. Plus, the specs handle the cards and a double thick card might be discovered.

To make the gaff he says to sand the face off a card and glue to the back of another card which yields a card 50% thicker. I don't like the idea of sanding, rather I'd just split the face off a card and glue the thinned card to the back. Does anyone have experience with producing such a gaff. Is that still too thick and easy to detect?

TIA
Phil
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I would venture a guess and say that only magicians would be able to detect a 50% thicker card. I would liken it to using Penguins bicycle elite edition cards versus regular bikes. I know the stock is thinner and I've played with cards long enough that I can tell the difference but I seriously doubt a muggle would notice. Heck, you can mix backs in a deck (angels vs. maidens) and no one will notice, so I doubt a slightly thicker card will muster any suspicion.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2021, Kaliix wrote:
I would venture a guess and say that only magicians would be able to detect a 50% thicker card. I would liken it to using Penguins bicycle elite edition cards versus regular bikes. I know the stock is thinner and I've played with cards long enough that I can tell the difference but I seriously doubt a muggle would notice. Heck, you can mix backs in a deck (angels vs. maidens) and no one will notice, so I doubt a slightly thicker card will muster any suspicion.

Thanks Daniel! That sounds like an easier solution. So putting one regular bike card into the elites will do the trick! Much simpler.

Phil
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Well, I hadn't actually thought of putting the two types of decks together but now that you mention it, putting a bicycle elite card on top of a regular bike will be less thick and noticeable than a double card. Glad I could help, Keith Smile

Quote:
On Apr 14, 2021, docguitarman wrote:
Quote:

Thanks Daniel! That sounds like an easier solution. So putting one regular bike card into the elites will do the trick! Much simpler.

Phil
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
Well, I hadn't actually thought of putting the two types of decks together but now that you mention it, putting a bicycle elite card on top of a regular bike will be less thick and noticeable than a double card. Glad I could help, Keith Smile

Quote:
Quote:

Phil

Thanks Keith! I just ordered an elite Bicycle deck. I'll report back on how well a regular bike card acts as a locator in the elite deck.
I'll also glue the elite blank face onto a regular and try that too and assess which is better.
Phil
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2021, docguitarman wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Phil

Thanks Keith! I just ordered an elite Bicycle deck. I'll report back on how well a regular bike card acts as a locator in the elite deck.
I'll also glue the elite blank face onto a regular and try that too and assess which is better.
Phil

Got the elites today. They are not that much thinner - so a regular bike can't serve as a thick card interloper. Not thick enough. I should have known that. Gluing the elite onto a regular bike would still be very close to a regular double thick card. So then the light bub went on. I have a couple of Phoenix double decker spares. I'll try gluing the double decker card onto the face of a regular bike card -- that ought to be close to a 1.5 thick card.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2021, docguitarman wrote:

Got the elites today. They are not that much thinner - so a regular bike can't serve as a thick card interloper. Not thick enough. I should have known that. Gluing the elite onto a regular bike would still be very close to a regular double thick card. So then the light bub went on. I have a couple of Phoenix double decker spares. I'll try gluing the double decker card onto the face of a regular bike card -- that ought to be close to a 1.5 thick card.

The double decker card on the face of a regular bike does the trick!
Phil
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Now put 2 cards face-down on top of your thick card and try a double lift (you may have already known this, but doing a double lift/turnover when the double rests on a thick card is incredibly easy).
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2021, Chessmann wrote:
Now put 2 cards face-down on top of your thick card and try a double lift (you may have already known this, but doing a double lift/turnover when the double rests on a thick card is incredibly easy).

Makes sense, didn't know it ! Thanks!
eddini
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of eddini
I use a corner short card. To me it's the best especially for a multiple card selection routine. After they put the cards in you can show the cards cleanly all around.

Ed, [Eddini]
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
One step in the same direction as a corner short is to dog ear the corner(s). No cut, just bend the little corner piece and fold it back and forth a few times. Works the same.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
You can peg your index card. If done correctly it won't ever be noticed especially if you use a court card. Easier to make than a double thick card.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2021, docguitarman wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2021, docguitarman wrote:

The double decker card on the face of a regular bike does the trick!
Phil

But the Phoenix DD has such a different finish than a Bike that it would stick out like sore thumb IMO.
Card Shark even put out a single decker with matching finish because of this discrepancy. Maybe try using one of those along with your DD.
thegreatscungilli
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of thegreatscungilli
Darryl has an bunch of very clever suggestions and they are available on one of his "Encyclopedia" downloads. For example, rather than splitting a card, he uses two court cards and cuts out the face section of one and carefully glues it to the other, the edge of the card is still regular thickness and only the center is thicker. As I recall, it is volume four of the set and it has a lot of good material in it besides using indicators. Definitely, worth having in your library.

As mentioned earlier, there are ways to make an indicator card without a g***e. Also, by using a couple of easy sleights, you can use any card as an indicator without having to g***e it but it depends on what illusion you are doing. Maybe the illusion you are doing doesn't require a g***e and you can do it with some sleights?

As far as specs noticing a 50% thicker card, it depends on how much and what kind of handling one is going to allow. For just a shuffle and cut it is un-likely that anyone other than a magician or someone that is really trying to find something would notice.

If someone does notice it in passing, you can shrug it off to poor quality control at the factory. A number of Bikes have been coming out that are mis-indexed so if you find one of these decks and put your g***e in it, you can confirm the poor QC by drawing attention to the mis-indexed cards and apparently there must have been a couple of sheets where the thickness of the card stock was off spec as well right?.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Eddie Joseph "locator" card (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL