The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Blaine Mnemonica (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
SleightlySpooky
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of SleightlySpooky
My apologies, I didn’t intend for this post to attract a sort of schism on the reputation of David Blaine.
Personally I find that yes, he did make magic “cool” (interesting to laymen as WitchDocCris said), as a kid growing up in the early 2000s he was my idol equivalent to Houdini/Copperfield/etc. I thank you all for your insights :—)
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
What has David Blaine contributed to magic in the past 25 years? Are you joking?

Weather you like it or not he is the most culturally relevant mystery performer since Houdini. No one before or after made the cultural splash that Mr. Blaine did. These are statistical facts. Do you have any idea how many magicians started in the art because of Blaine? Do you not understand that all of those new performers regenerated the entire artform simply because of the effect David had on them? The same guys who are putting out the hits today that make you feel so special when you perform. Yeah guy, there is a direct linear connection there you aren't acknowledging.

If you don't like him then be transparent and say you think he is trash. But suggesting that his single presence didn't cause the most monumental shift in the magic world in history just reveals utter stupidity and denial.

While were on the topic, what has the guy who made the ridiculous comments contributed? Does anyone even know who that is? Merc who? Maybe you should define your resume before slamming other peerlessly successful performers, eh?
ssibal
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of ssibal
Not sure exactly what “contributed to the magic community” is supposed to mean but whether you like him or not Blaine has certainly helped popularize magic.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On May 11, 2021, SleightlySpooky wrote:
Can anyone point me in the right direction for this effect performed by David Blaine?
I was told he used the mnemonica stack, and is able to do an ACAAN type effect in which he asks a random spectator to name a card, then tell him their name. He spells down to her name and it’s the card she named. What sleights and subtleties could accomplish this?

Quote:
On May 11, 2021, puggo wrote:
Lots of practice!
Get the name, (unless your lucky) estimation cut (pass), check & readjust if required and bingo. Will Fern does a multi-phase routine with ACAAN and more, Michael Close has several books on this and the list of stack maestros goes on..! Check out the 'shuffled,not stirred forum'. Good luck!
Charlie

I committed Mnemonica to memory twice, and that’s a lot for a decent-at-best coin guy like myself. I mean, to go from tricks like the old Circus Card Trick to something like Mnemonica wasn’t easy, but it was a mountain I had to climb once amazed by Tamariz, Blaine and Wind. 😁 But I can tell you that it was well worth the exercise. And the many tricks, including Mnemonicosis (the ACAAN, I believe?) was a lot of fun to play around with. Once you get it down good, then you can jazz around with it to great amazement. One thing though, you must stay in good practice with it, or you can lose it, forgetting the stack altogether. It is a bit easier to re-remember it than learning it from the start but the effort takes time either way. It’s a great system for some wonderful card effects, but thank God there are many other ways to skin a cat as to doing great card tricks. 😊

Just the same, good journey with it.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
MikeLarkin
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of MikeLarkin
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2022, DJ Trix wrote:
What has David Blaine contributed to magic in the past 25 years? Are you joking?

Weather you like it or not he is the most culturally relevant mystery performer since Houdini. No one before or after made the cultural splash that Mr. Blaine did. These are statistical facts. Do you have any idea how many magicians started in the art because of Blaine? Do you not understand that all of those new performers regenerated the entire artform simply because of the effect David had on them? The same guys who are putting out the hits today that make you feel so special when you perform. Yeah guy, there is a direct linear connection there you aren't

I’m sorry, but Doug Henning was at least as “culturally relevant” as David Blaine.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
By 'culturally relevant' I mean how many magicians were spawned via the influence thereof. And tbh I don't think Henning had even 10% the effect David Blaine did just going by numbers alone. I would say Copperfield was significantly more culturally relevant then Henning but this is all conjecture now. How many people today know who Doug is? Today, Doug only has cultural relevance to magicians, not to 'people'. Blaine is still a household name. Now more then ever. How many other magicians have almost 30 million views of one video on youtube in history? This is cultural relevance.

We could conduct a public survey by going into a major metropolis like NY city and ask 500 people if they know who Doug Henning is, and who David Blaine is, and tally up the results. I would suggest that Doug may have zero yes answers. But who knows.

Point being Blaine is probably the most culturally relevant magician in history. And if you disagree it is probably just cognitive dissonance and perceptual bias due to your own judgements. Which is totally understandable. You spent a decade mastering your classic pass when David took the world with a folding coin. And that makes some people cranky. C'est la vie! Some people don't recognize skillsets outside of their own idea of what skill is. Whats the greatest skillset for a performer? Its making people care about what you are doing. Not the difficulty level thereof. Sorry.

Anyways I didn't mean to derail this thread so kudos to those who stayed on topic.
MikeLarkin
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of MikeLarkin
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2022, DJ Trix wrote:
By 'culturally relevant' I mean how many magicians were spawned via the influence thereof. And tbh I don't think Henning had even 10% the effect David Blaine did just going by numbers alone. I would say Copperfield was significantly more culturally relevant then Henning but this is all conjecture now. How many people today know who Doug is? Today, Doug only has cultural relevance to magicians, not to 'people'. Blaine is still a household name. Now more then ever. How many other magicians have almost 30 million views of one video on youtube in history? This is cultural relevance.

We could conduct a public survey by going into a major metropolis like NY city and ask 500 people if they know who Doug Henning is, and who David Blaine is, and tally up the results. I would suggest that Doug may have zero yes answers. But who knows.

Point being Blaine is probably the most culturally relevant magician in history. And if you disagree it is probably just cognitive dissonance and perceptual bias due to your own judgements. Which is totally understandable. You spent a decade mastering your classic pass when David took the world with a folding coin. And that makes some people cranky. C'est la vie! Some people don't recognize skillsets outside of their own idea of what skill is. Whats the greatest skillset for a performer? Its making people care about what you are doing. Not the difficulty level thereof. Sorry.

Anyways I didn't mean to derail this thread so kudos to those who stayed on topic.

Doug Henning was far more revolutionary in his day than David Blaine was. He broke far more rules in terms of how he presented himself and in addition he was fantastic at just about every facet of magic. He was already a seasoned stage performer by the time he had his immensely popular television specials.

I don't have anything against David Blaine but he was more famous for his stunts than for his magic. He was exceptionally popular, but no more so than Henning was at the time.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I’m sorry, but is this sorta like who is the GOAT, Michael Jordan or Kareem Abdul Jabbar?

Henning, Copperfield, Blaine…Seems to me they’re all great in their own way, in their own time as given to the perception of those then and now.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
843 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
David Blaine is literally the father of modern magic.

He created the standard for everything that came after him: street magic video, custom made decks of cards, cardistry
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2022, Maxyedid wrote:

He created the standard for everything that came after him: street magic video, custom made decks of cards, cardistry

Yes. People need to have a little respect...
MikeLarkin
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of MikeLarkin
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2022, Maxyedid wrote:

Doing magic on the street is hardly a revolutionary concept. What Blaine's producers did is they turned the camera onto the reactions of spectators. By harvesting many performances they could then stitch together the best responses for one ultra-affected special. A very clever move.
J. Rose
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of J. Rose
Quote:
On May 25, 2021, Merc Man wrote:
Quote:
On May 25, 2021, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
On May 25, 2021, Merc Man wrote:
Lest we ever forget this Moronic Blaine interview:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DKVbs7LL8I0

Lest we forget this charming interview 20 years later, where everyone takes it in good fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLITftbcOcA

I take it all back - Blaine has contributed to Magic afterall.

In that clip, Blaine clearly demonstrated:

- The type of card magic that Magicians should avoid performing like the plague; because it truly was utter boredom personified.

- How poor magic looks when presented in the manner of an escapee from the local morgue.Smile

You sound like a frustrated, jealous failure of a magician who couldn't make it thus developing a hatred for Blaine for taking such a simple concept and changing the way people look at magic and creating a name for himself while inspiring millions. Ask yourself, what have you ever contributed to in this community other than your bickering for attention?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Blaine Mnemonica (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL