The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Website Outages? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2481 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Will there be any kind of announcement or explanations for the site outages that occurred today and the other day? Site was inaccessible for hours, and confirmed by various online website status tools.
Just wondering.
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
668 Posts

Profile of Boomer
I work in the industry, it wasn't just TMC.

https://www.thousandeyes.com/outages/

Dave
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2481 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Thanks Boomer, I also work in industry. Good point though, it could have been host or host's provider that TMC uses. Just wondering why there's never any acknowledgement or any recap about hours long outages. We could never get away with that with my company website.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Internet outages are something we all live with everyday. If we are planning to shut the Café down for some reason like maintenance, we do send out an announcement but that is a very rare occurrence. If the outage is a surprise and out of our control, we couldn't notify the membership until the situation was resolved, at which point, what would be the point? We could say "it was down and now it's up." Would it matter to anyone whether the server was down or someone kicked out a plug? Most members wouldn't even know there was a problem unless it was a long extended outage.

It might be noted that in this case, the Café was not down for hours. It was an intermittent outage. It was up and down during a several hour period. As for a recap, no data is ever lost so again all we could say is that there was an outage. At the time this situation occurred, I was the only staff member available only knew about the problem when I tried to log in. Had I not done that, the outage most likely wouldn't have been seen. Just curious, if you visit a site that you frequent often and see that it's down, do you send a message to them asking for an explanation?

I know it's frustrating to try accessing a site only to find out it's down. If we could contact the membership with an explanation while it's happening, we would do so but down means down.
Where the magic begins
Alex McFly
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Alex McFly
I think anyone who has been a website administrator knows the problem. When a server is down, the communication to the users or the fans is no longer there. The only way would be to communicate via social media channels and share the server downtime. But this means again an additional effort on the part of the administrator and if you want to reach all users, the maintenance of many social media platforms. We decided against it for our band website, because we administrators all go to work and do this as a hobby and also do not immediately notice if the server unexpectedly fails.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Thanks Alex. You explained it a little better than I did.
Where the magic begins
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Thank You - many of us were concerned .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Website Outages? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL