The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » New york times acaan and berglas effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
The new york times has an article on the Berglas Effect today. I found a link to Marc Paul doing a very clean version on a talk show. They run a disclaimer about no stooges etc.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Which brings up my point I've often made in my newsletters and ebooks, that the public wouldn't be able to tell the difference between ACAAN and a simpler trick I call What Card at Any Number?. (Deck is shuffled and cut to a fair-thee-well by the magician (false shuffles and cuts) and a spectator calls any number. Viola', when counted down...there it is! A stack, I use the Bart Harding one from the Magic Circle. If done for a public (lay) audience...they wouldn't know it isn't ACAAN unless you explained to them what a stooge (or stooges) means. And we don't want to explain what stooges are, to the audience. And in the clip of Marc Paul doing ACAAN on a talk show...they run a disclaimer that there are no stooges - yet there are. I say don't expose stooges, and do What Card at Any Number after a good false cut or false shuffle and if you deal the cards face UP until you get to the one at the number, which you put aside face down until you show the rest of the cards to be also all different...this is important...but don't say they are all different. That would be exposing too. Just let them see. This is where the Bart Harding stack is so useful. They can be seen to not alternate in colors of pips. Also, because it is a calculation, not a memorization, the slight mental work needed looks like good acting...making the trick seem to be not easy...at the very least.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I just saw on a different thread that pre-show work might have been used which is different from outright stooges. The helpers are asked to choose and record what they will use during the show, so they have time to really get the image fixed in their mind's eye...so that during the show they will have no trouble visualizing.

This is interesting and a way to get around the no-stooges disclaimer. Using a known stack if using that method is better that having a crib-sheet which is often mentioned as the explanation. I don't think an amateur could get away with looking at a crib-sheet without getting caught doing so. I never read Richard Kaufman's book on David Berglas...but am tempted.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On May 25, 2021, gregg webb wrote:
The new york times has an article on the Berglas Effect today.

Here's a link to the article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/23/style......ick.html

If you can't access the article, open an "incognito" window in your web-browser, and then paste the link to view the page.
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
843 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
Quote:
On May 25, 2021, gregg webb wrote:
Which brings up my point I've often made in my newsletters and ebooks, that the public wouldn't be able to tell the difference between ACAAN and a simpler trick I call What Card at Any Number?. (Deck is shuffled and cut to a fair-thee-well by the magician (false shuffles and cuts) and a spectator calls any number. Viola', when counted down...there it is! A stack, I use the Bart Harding one from the Magic Circle. If done for a public (lay) audience...they wouldn't know it isn't ACAAN unless you explained to them what a stooge (or stooges) means. And we don't want to explain what stooges are, to the audience. And in the clip of Marc Paul doing ACAAN on a talk show...they run a disclaimer that there are no stooges - yet there are. I say don't expose stooges, and do What Card at Any Number after a good false cut or false shuffle and if you deal the cards face UP until you get to the one at the number, which you put aside face down until you show the rest of the cards to be also all different...this is important...but don't say they are all different. That would be exposing too. Just let them see. This is where the Bart Harding stack is so useful. They can be seen to not alternate in colors of pips. Also, because it is a calculation, not a memorization, the slight mental work needed looks like good acting...making the trick seem to be not easy...at the very least.

I want to see you getting an article in the NYT with that trick.

I know a few people who would say that a $5 wallet or purse "it's the same" as a Armani, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, etc etc wallet or purse
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » New york times acaan and berglas effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL