The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What is a "stud deal"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Hi,
"Stud deal" is a phrase I keep coming across. Presumably it comes from Poker and means dealing a card face up. But is it more specific than that? Occasionally on the Café I see remarks about dealing a card face-up but NOT stud-style - which implies "stud" is a specific technique.

When I was young I used to play Snap with my friends. Some people turned their cards towards themselves before completing the turnover. This was annoying, so we used to insist on turning the cards away from ourselves. Is one of these correct stud deal but not the other? (I can't see why it would possibly matter in Poker though!)

Thanks
N
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
In a stud deal, the deck is held face down in the left hand. You push the top card with your left thumb, then, with your right hand, you take that card with the right thumb on its face, and your index/major on the back. You then proceed to deal the card face up on the table by turning your right hand face up.
(You'll figure out how to adapt if you hold the deck in your right hand).

I don't know the name of the deal where the deck is face down, the card is pick with the right hand with the thumb on the back, and then dealt face up by turning the right hand palm down. It must have a name, but it's not stud.

P!
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Thanks Ado
So you are saying that a "stud deal" must start by turning the face of the card towards myself?
If I grasp the card with thumb on TOP and rotate the face AWAY from myself that would not be called a stud deal - even though both land face up?
Lord Anacho
View Profile
Regular user
Kessel-Lo, Belgium
157 Posts

Profile of Lord Anacho
As far as I know, both ways are called stud deal. The motive to use one as opposed to the other is in your presentation and the trick structure. If you previously 'lost' a selected card in the deck (but controlled it to the top and wish to reveal it, then deal the face of the card first towards yourself, thereby increasing the tensoin... will he have found the card? If however you wish to play the angle of 'magician in trouble' and you have controlled the card second to top You would wish to deal the 'wrong' card face towards the audience. They will see the face of the card before you do and will react to the fact that it isn't the selection. Now they will be wondering how you will get out of that one. This also builds some tension before you finish the deal and only then 'notice' you have the wrong card.
Ciao for now.
Erik
"The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything" (Alfred Borden in The Prestige)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What is a "stud deal"? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL