The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Reverse Oil and Water? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi folks,

Does anyone know of packet tricks in which the red and black cards appear to be separate but then are suddenly seen to be mixed? I thought it would be fun to use a line like, "You know, the red and black cards can never seem to get enough of each other. You just can't keep them apart."

It's possible that this could be done by doing the steps of an ordinary O&W in reverse order, with any necessary modifications. I'm going to play around with that idea, but I'd still be interested in hearing people's thoughts. Ideally I'm looking for tricks in which no extra cards are used, and for which the trick is examinable at the end.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
P. S. Another thought: Remove the first phase of an ordinary, O&W, or add a new first phase. That might do the trick.
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
There are plenty of oil and water routines that have an instant mix phase. Larry Jennings' comes to mind.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The effect Perfectly Oiled by David Regal contains the sequence that you are inquiring about. The move in question is the closing part to the effect. The magician separates the reds and blacks for a second time then simply places the red pack on top of the black pack and voila, the reds and blacks separate without any moves.

I never cared for an oil and water routine until this one. It's the best I've come across.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
790 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Actually, many (most?) oil and water routines end with the apparently separated cards instantly mixing.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Kalix! I've been doing an O&W and haven't been getting great reactions. Could be that I need to hone my performance skills, but there are also a few extraneous moves from the spectators' viewpoint. Is the handling really as direct as it appears in the trailer on Penguin? If so, I'm in!

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Frank and Mike,

Yes, I guess you're right. I just watched a charming performance by Larry Jennings in which that happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcYIb64KFBE .

And Frank, I looked up "Jennings Oil Water" in Dennis Behr's Conjuring Archive. It, or some version of it, was published in a book I don't own. But do you happen to know off-hand if the trick was also published in any of his larger collections? I do own some of them and will check.

Thanks,

Bob
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Darko Smile
cigmas
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of cigmas
Bob Farmer had a reverse oil and water routine in Best of Friends Vol. 2 call Mixdemeanor and Aldo Colombini had a final phase, where the cards remix, in his routine Italian Dressing. Not sure of the source of this one, maybe off one of his DVDs.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Cigmas. I have Best of friends 2 and the relevant Colombini DVD (or download). I'll look them up!

And welcome to the Café.

By the way, in case anybody's interested, the Colombini download, Oil and Water 2, which is available from Lybrary.com, has some nice routines, including Richard Vollmer's "Nice oil and water," in which, in the last phase, all of the cards turn red!

Bob
Mark Williams
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
513 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Hi Bob, Not quite what you asked about...but still pretty magical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVRrujLiRMo

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Really nice, Mark, thanks for sending this link. Short and sweet, very few moves, and nice surprise ending. And I like the magician, too.

Probably a long shot, but you know whether the handling has been published?

See you,

Bob
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
428 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
For a really amped-up version, see "Oil and Gaffs" in a recent Genii.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Bob.
Mark Williams
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
513 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2021, Bob G wrote:
Really nice, Mark, thanks for sending this link. Short and sweet, very few moves, and nice surprise ending. And I like the magician, too.

Probably a long shot, but you know whether the handling has been published?

See you,

Bob

Bob, Sorry...I do not know if that particular version I linked to...is published. I have seen versions similar, over the years. I seem to remember Karl Fulves having something similar called "Cards Cannot Be Mixed" (I think this is the name).

You can always check Here and type in "Oil and Water" into the search engine.

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
For those who, like me, are just finding their feet in magic, the following may be useful: Harry Lorayne mentions in Best of Friends 2 that Phil Goldstein has an effect similar to Farmer's trick; it's called "Mixtant," and is in Goldstein's book Focus. I glanced at Mixtant, and it looks quite a bit easier than Farmer's Mixdemeanor.
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
Bob, I don't believe Jennings' routine is published in any of his hardbound books, I believe the particular routine I referred to is in his book Up in Smoke. It may have been explained on his Thoughts on Cards dvds as well.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Frank.

Bob
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
@Bob
You have a PM.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Reverse Oil and Water? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL