The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Hell's Smoke (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
Will likes to post so he has made
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
Hi all, I've been doing some reading on Hell's Smoke and decided to try it out to liven up a coin vanish. From what I've read so far, it's fairly safe as long as you aren't breathing in any fumes directly, and if you wash your hands immediately afterwards.

It took about a day before the smell was off my fingers, even though I used small amounts and washed my hands thoroughly. And the smell during use was pretty obvious indoors. So I'm not sure if this will be practical in a modern setting. Maybe I got lower-quality knockoffs. I might just stick with flash paper.

But since no leading magic suppliers sell it anymore, and the only place you can get it are sites like eBay, I'm wondering if there's been new developments on the manufacturing (or rather lack of) of Hell's Smoke since then. Is anyone still using it? Was it found to be too dangerous?
tonysmith
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of tonysmith
Hi....it is basically red phosphorous coated onto paper. During the ignition process it produces phosphorous pentoxide, which is what you rub with your fingers.
Phosphorus pentoxide itself is not flammable. It reacts vigorously with water and water-containing substances like wood or cotton, liberates much heat and may even cause fire due to the highly exothermic nature of such reactions. It is corrosive to metal and is very irritating – it may cause severe burns to the eye, skin, mucous membrane, and respiratory tract even at concentrations as low as 1 mg/m3.[12]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Hell's Smoke (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL