The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » They broke in and took it all... (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
168 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Last week I was jarred awake by my car alarm in the middle of the night and looked out the window to see someone hanging out of my car's passenger window!,
I ran down and outside the house in my PJs and bare feet (pretty stupid) and yelled and they jumped into the car and drove off.... as I looked they had smashed through the passenger window and took everything they could reach, some boxes on the front seat and from the back seat MY STREET TABLE AND ENTIRE BAG OF MAGIC!!! So after the police came and dusted for finger prints and took the report etc. I was devastated by the loss. There were some really special props I've had since I started busking 30 years ago and some newer stuff. Also found out from Police that they hit another 2 cars on my block and 2 on a nearby block and just took anything they could grab from each.
Made all the insurance claims and I'm getting some $$ back to cover replacements but it still sucks and hurts a lot.
So lesson learned, never leave anything valuable in the car.....😢
Chuck Finley
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Chuck Finley
Have a feeling the crime rates will see a sharp increase fro a while. I have had my stuff stolen in the past too. I know the pain you are feeling all too well. I am sorry this has happened to you.
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
I can relate to being attached to props! A lot of memories can be held by simple things like a chop cup. I am sorry this happened to you. The sad part is most of what they stole will not have value to them.
Satire
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Satire
So sorry to hear this. Keep an eye out on Craigslist, particularly since it's unique stuff you should be able to spot it (and tip off the police). It's doubtful they've got much use for a cane that transforms into flowers so they'll likely try to move it and convert it to cash.

Also walk the roads nearby to see if they just pulled off somewhere to finish what you interrupted. I found several of my pilfered items following a similar situation a few blocks away in the bushes (where they'd dumped the stuff they didn't think had value).
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Dr. Molar, sad news. 😞

Old props are as warm as old friends.

Just the 'thought'...paigns.

There's a TERRIBLE(!) old Story,
about a car getting broken into,
in Chicago.
Unfortunately,
it's kinda funny(!).
....maybe it will console.

Some years ago, cars were having their side windows smashed,
and radios being pulled out.
One guy, trying to avoid the broken window,
put a sign in his side window saying:
NO RADIO.

When he returned,....
his window WAS broken!
The sign had been turned over,
and someone wrote:
JUST CHECKING.

....that probably DIDN'T help much,...
still,..
my sympathys.
gallagher
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
168 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
That's great, ......thanks Gallagher much appreciated
Bruce
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I'm sorry you had to learn this lesson. My friend had this happen to him a few years ago.
markmagic
View Profile
New user
KY
51 Posts

Profile of markmagic
Thieves broke in my car and insurance wouldn’t cover the magic
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
When the neighbors' cars are getting broken into, mine never does. I remove all valuables from the car, if I can, or at least keep them out of sight.
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
168 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Alan,
yes I agree, I've always tried to be on top of unloading the car after shows but of course laziness and then the one time I left it in for the week......boom they broke in.

MarkMagic, I claimed it on my home owners insurance and my performers insurance because I pay for a rider for theft, and when they offered the rider to me abut 5 years ago I wasn't going to buy it but it was only a few more $$ so I just did it.....and now I'm happy I did. between both policies I was covered and got a chunk of the cost back, can't replace some of the magic but a lot of it.
And of course the car window was covered by the car insurance policy.

Bruce
Guardian452
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
235 Posts

Profile of Guardian452
I am so so sorry to hear this. I always try to remember to bring my bag in from the car. Hannibal invented/ came up with his pringle can routine because this exact situation happened to him
SO glad you were reimbursed but yes - magic props aren't about the money, it's often about replacing the irreplaceable.
Jeff.
Been a busker since I was 14 from San Diego; Don Driver was my mentor along with many others like Jimmy Talksalot, Sleeveless (Stephen Sloan), Bob Elliott.
markmagic
View Profile
New user
KY
51 Posts

Profile of markmagic
This really sucks. I’ve had magic stolen out of my car and I’m sure they just threw it away.
drmolarmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn NY
168 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Yeah that's what I assumed,
they got it home opened the bag and looked thru it and didn't know what to make of it.... I actually went around my neighborhood looking in garbage cans and the dumpster in the apartment complex near by hoping to just find it....or some of it, but nothing found, so they probably took it further away and disposed of it,
Another member here suggested I watch craig's list for my stuff on sale but so far nothing.
I guess I have to wait until I run across someone doing my show with my stuff at a pitch somewhere!
thx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » They broke in and took it all... (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL