The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic on Teens (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Professor Corleone
View Profile
New user
Northern California
2 Posts

Profile of Professor Corleone
As a High School teacher I try to get teenagers to laugh or smile everyday. It’s a challenge I pose to myself everyday. I like to use items I find around campus to perform magic with. For instance, books, pens, pencils, etc. Do y’all have any advice for this type of free close-up/walk-round magic I’m performing on teenagers? Any suggestions on gimmicks to buy, trick decks, etc….P.S. Gregory Wilsons Pointless kills. Thanks for your help.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Iam prodcuing Series of ebook using 'found' objects in na impromptu setting. Two complete, "Single Stone" and "Pair of Stones" published on Lybrary.com and "FistFull' almost ready
and more to come. The Moves, SLeights and Stratagems can certianly be applied to a classroom, Caféteria or 'under the trees' setting.

When I was substitute teacher in Sacramento decades ago I regularly used magic effect in conjunction with my lesson efforts.
I found several effects that I carried to allow for adaptation to a storyline or as a 'visual aid' to support a lesson theme.
Write me ken@eversway.com to discuss.

As general advice for doing magic effects for students (not just teens). Never reward bad behavior or complete an effect with disruption.
STOP is always an option. Then the students who are interested and excited can control the others.
Make magic a conditional bonus that only works with the cooperative energy of the entire group.

Yes, you can agree to meet with some appreciative students later, but a classroom is a controlled environment in which respect is paramount.

If you are only performing for groups of students outside of the classroom it is different. Then, I found that being truly impromptu was always received better than using a carried prop.
I never performed "on demand" however. e.g., a requested effect. Other teachers were the worst, often requesting, "do that thing with a pen" and interrupting any plan.
I always attempted to relate the point of a magic effect to some current lesson or item in the news. (always on as a teacher)

You can also use un-announced magic tricks to focus attention such as having your "magic market' inexplicably change color in the middle of writing on the board.
If you are known as the guy where surprising things might happen at any moment it is good. Being a magician when things are bring, not so much.

Time is always a consideration and other teachers will not appreciate student being late because they were watching you "do your stuff.'
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
There’s a simple one I taught my dad (he teaches at the local university) that he could do with just a few bucks invested. He is talking, pauses, takes off his glasses and notes that they are in need of wiping. He puts them on, makes a fist with his left hand, reaches into it with his right forefinger and thumb, and pulls out a bright red cloth. Removes his specs, wipes them, puts them on, tucks the hankie back into his fist, and brushes his hands off. Goes back to the lecture.

This is maybe 30 seconds of diversion in a lecture. Anyone who wasn’t watching missed it.

TT and a silk.

Patrick
MattyMediocrity
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of MattyMediocrity
Sounds like a good setting for a book test.

I believe Shawn Farquar permits you to use his script if you purchase the product, and it's absolutely HILARIOUS! You might want to skip the "cheek to cheek" bit 😂 https://youtu.be/UQ3hw3sbVwM

You specify free. I believe there's some good public domain versions you can find.
You can craft your own comedy or just go for amazement.

Good magic is never really free. You're either going to spend money or time researching, I'll bet you want Shawn's version when you see it!
Creator of Molly Mayhem's 25 Cent Tacos <ultra visual coin bend> Smile

I try to treat others as if this were a small community where we're likely to be face to face one day Smile
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Have a look at The Illustrated Compendium of Magic Tricks The Complete Step-By-Step Guide to Magic, with More Than 375 Fun and Simple-To-Learn Tricks
By Nicholas Einhorn.

Most of the stuff is easily obtainable stationery and other common items, get a copy and you'll have more stuff then you'll ever need.

Magically

Aus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic on Teens (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL