The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » THOFT by Mr Darkness (review) (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
582 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Just my two cents:

Darkness has fallen again, and playing in the shadows is really becoming fun!

My H@nd 0f F@te T@r0t by Mr Darkness arrived and I love it!

Tis a thing of beauty. A bit on the steep side at $250, but it is a limited edition and provides themed. aged quality and value with it's beautifully designed deck, packaging, and information booklet

Yes, you get an actual 4x6, soft covered reference manual filled with great teaching and performance ideas!

The deck itself is a dark reimagining of Rider Waite images, Nothing overly outrageous, just enough for a spectator to realize the similarities, but also know that your deck is one they haven't seen before! It is larger than most tarot and comes with a leather wrapping and straps that lock around the deck. Looks like something you should keep locked up. Smile

The backs focus on two skeletal hands (as above, so below) amidst scroll work. They are cleverly m@rk3d and easy to read (even for someone with poor eyesight).

So, do you need another Tarot deck? That's for you to decide. For me that's kind of like asking if I need another neat box.

Currently I am trying to expand and improve my storytelling and branch out into more realistic looking props to shear up my performances. Buying THOFT was a no brainer. Wish it had been available earlier as it would have saved me the price of several decks I don't tend to use now.

Thanks Richard for another great addition!
dkelten
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of dkelten
Where did you find this? I've been looking for a decent m@rked T@r0t deck for a while but haven't seen this.
Most of the ones that I have found are just the major arcane, so is this a full deck?
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
582 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Mrdarkness.com

Only Major Arcana. Not a full deck.
dkelten
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of dkelten
Thanks, I'll look into this!
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
This arrived and I couldn't be more pleased!! The cards are large and quite sturdy, and best of all, when he says they glide smoothly he ain't lying--these are a dream to handle! So many handmade or aged decks don't spread well or they are hard to mix and deal... not the case with these, YAY!!

I love the illustration on the back; it is very Victorian, very creepy without being ghastly, very death and mortality focused.

I can't stop playing with them--they are so nice to handle. Another MR. Darkness piece that I'll likely never sell!

And I've only begun looking through the manual, and am already deeply impressed with the quality and originality of the material pertaining to straight up readings. I'll have to revisit this after I've learned the marking system and routines and so forth, but I just wanted to let everyone know that this is a superior production, and well worth the price.

Try to get the leather wrap and lock version, as it looks fantastic--but either way the cards are absolutely TOP NOTCH.

I looove these cards!!

Seth
Bastien
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Bastien
This is easily the best thing I bought all year. As I'm fairly new to the Tarot, I believe the included booklet is all you need to get started doing real readings for real people.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Thank you Bastien its nice to hear you value it.

I am really pleased with how it turned out and that I was able to make a positive contribution for learning the Tarot. The book really is something you can use to make a difference in someone life.

Its unique and covers more areas than most tarot books. While being distilled into actionable bite sized sections with little to no filler.

And it doesn't require batteries lol

I believe this is the best major arcana deck and manual in bizarre Smile
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
BeachCat
View Profile
New user
Vegas Baby!
54 Posts

Profile of BeachCat
Thank you for your review and all of the follow up comments. Have I missed a link of where to find these marked Tarot cards?
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
582 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
BeechCat -www.mrdarkness.com
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
I am honored to receive this feedback from someone who is a respected leader in our industry.

“It’s a great thing of dark beauty. If a performer brings that out, and the audience isn't immediately pulled into a new realm of reality, then it's the fault of the performer. I bought THOFT because I knew that it was something wonderful and it would not be around forever. I knew I had to grab one right now or I would regret it later on.”

~Todd Robbins~
William Draven
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, NV
486 Posts

Profile of William Draven
I received my copy a bit over a month ago, and I've been playing with it since. Here are my dark thoughts, for what it's worth:

The presentation of The Hand of Fate is superior to other [tarot] decks I've worked with. The anticipation each time that weathered leather wrap comes out and the key turns the lock adds a real esoteric sense of mystery to what is going to happen. I feel bad for those who do not get the leather binding. Honestly, it’s for me, the best part because it sells the presentation. It’s like watching an old western and the guy dressed in black walks in hand on his gun belt, and he just mean mugs the room before sitting at the bar. Doesn’t say a word and a drink just automatically lands in his hand. He hasn’t done anything, or said anything, and you already know you don’t want to mess with him because he can and would shoot you without thinking twice about it. It doesn’t matter what you plan to do with the cards, the minute the audience sees the leather bindings and lock, they know you mean business.

The accompanying book accomplishes what it sets out to do: It preps the reader to sound knowledgeable in readings right out the gate while circumventing the need for years of comparative study to acquire the same level of awareness. It's easy to read, easy to follow, and sure you'll want to do your own research to further your understanding of the possibilities with Tarot, but if you're going in with nothing, it'll get you performance ready fairly quick. The book is travel ready, and fits easily into a large pocket. Perfect for taking with you to read on the bus, or long trips. The writing is easy to read, and easy to follow. There is a section in the back that is provided for taking/ making notes. You DO make notes in the books you study right?

It’s a beautiful product. The cards are aged to perfection, and printed on a thick sturdy card stock. They handle about as well as you'd expect a product of said description would, but let's face it. You're not going to be doing any cardistry with these bad boys anyways. So that's moot. It’s perfect for magical work with tarot cards, and the markings would enhance any usual reading to supernatural levels of awareness beyond the scope of the sitters comprehension. As always a fair amount of ethical scrutiny should be allowed prior to using something like this, because in the wrong hands this thing is strong enough to start religions. I’m shocked more people aren’t buying this. Perhaps they are just thinking it’s only a market tarot deck, but then again I don’t think they really are seeing it’s true full potential.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Well written and informative review William Draven. Thank you.

I have pretty much everything Darkness has produced and have yet to be disappointed. His props and effects are carefully considered and expertly crafted each and every time. I am in no way surprised that this item meets the same expectations.

My hesitation in purchasing this offering is suggested in your review in that I just don't see using this exquisite set. But you are convincing me to reconsider.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Thank you Draven and Oz.

Considering I have only sold just north of 20 decks this is a positive response. There are a few left. The other half of the 50 couldn’t be made until the spring now (as I primarily work outside). They won’t be the leather version. Im honestly not sure if I’ll be motivated to make the rest at that time as I’m on to other things. So if you are on the fence now is the time…

www.mrdarkness.com/thoft

Thanks to all those who purchased I am grateful. Happy winter solstice!

Rick
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
If you have COA 1 of 50 please PM me. Thanks.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Thank you Vlad!

"Don't pass this by, it is very cool, the pictures don't do it justice, it has a very tactile presence, it looks feels and smells "authentic", the cards have just the right touch and are easy to "acquire " info from if you don't grab it now, once you see one in person you will be paying much more on a secondary market to catch up with the rest of us."

Only a few Leather Edition, Major Arcana Marked Decks, and Booklets left.

www.mrdarkness.com/thoft

If you wish to purchase this please contact me to receive pictures of the deck and the price. Trying to keep it underground as much as possible and for serious buyers.

mrdarknessmagick@gmail.com
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Still, a couple left...

"Like everything Darkness makes, the attention to detail is meticulous and the quality is first rate. They look, and equally important, feel right. I collect antiques, and these are utterly convincing as period tarot cards. I have the original tarot from Outlaw and the improved version from Gemini. I have other decks as well. This deck is without doubt the finest cards I have ever encountered. The stock, artwork, and aging, are all at a level above anything I have seen. They are d**n near perfect.”

Nigel Barber
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Darkness was kind enough to sell me an earlier version of the cards (at a reduced amount, for full disclosure) in exchange for sharing my thoughts with him. My comments are based on the decks I received. I have not had a chance to see the book that comes with it.

First of all, I think this is a really nice presentation of the Tarocco Sopraffino deck majors.

While I have not seen the final version of the cards (he sent me two versions to offer my thoughts on the aging and finishing I liked the best), I do feel he has aged the deck nicely and the markings are deceptive. A simple riffle of the cards will point out where they are, but that is not something that is likely to happen in normal use, and I did not really 'see' the markings until he pointed out what they were. So, they are camouflaged well.

The aging was well-done and they have a nice glide to them. The hands (the design on the back) bring a nice feature to tie in a psychologically-visual aspect of the cards being dealt by "the hands of fate". For any bizarre enthusiast, this will pair nicely with any dark-themed effect, but could also play strongly for a reader who uses the major arcana only.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
The leather version is sold out but I had time to make a couple of deck of the non leather version. I made 40ish leather the rest are not leather and only 50 will be made in total.

These decks are less expensive than the leather version.

Once these are gone that’s it for the hand aged version.

I will share this link but I will take it down in a couple of days.

www.mrdarkness.com/hand666
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
I sat on a deck and only had time to just finish it this summer. So if you are interested now is the time to get one of the last ones. Actual it might be the last one unless I release my spare ( I kept two for me) but then that’s definately it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » THOFT by Mr Darkness (review) (18 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL