The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » DIY Kevlar Invisible Thread (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gila
View Profile
New user
Valladolid, Spain
4 Posts

Profile of gila
Hello! this is my first post here, although I have been reading you for many years now. I hope it is on the right place.

As the title suggest, I am looking for a non-magical source of kevlar IT, kind of as the nylon IT which you can get from some socks and that kind of stuff.
I have finished Michael Ammar´s Thread Miracles, and although it talks about the socks as a source for nylon IT, he says nothing about where to get kevlar, appart from magic shops. I already have a kevlar ITR, but I would like to experiment how could I get some kevlar strands from daily objects. I have ordered a kevlar fishing line, which I hope I can untangle in order to get some kevlar IT.

My question is: have any of you tried this before? do you know of a better source than a kevlar fishing line?
Thanks in advance!

Pablo
Pablo Gila
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2021, gila wrote:
Do you know of a better source than a kevlar fishing line?
Thanks in advance!
Pablo

Hi Pablo! Hope this helps:

https://emagicsupply.com/index.php?main_......ts_id=81

Doug
gila
View Profile
New user
Valladolid, Spain
4 Posts

Profile of gila
Hi Doug!

My intention was to find a non-magical source for kevlar IT, but thanks for the info! I did not know that normal vectra was stronger than kevlar. I thought I might get the vectra X2, since it seems suitable for the venom ITR. Anyway, if anybody has any idea on where to find kevlar fibers on daily objects, I am still interested.

Thanks!
Pablo Gila
RealityTwisterSFX
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of RealityTwisterSFX
Which ITR do you have? And how do you like it.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
X2 is for stage work. it is pretty easily seen up close.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
RealityTwisterSFX
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of RealityTwisterSFX
Thanks
umutK
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of umutK
I am looking for wooly nylon and kevlar thread source as well
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I'm currently working with "Veevus GSP" thread .

Extremely thin & strong for its weight.

I believe spools of this thread are mostly marketed to fly tying fishermen, so it's pretty cheap, too...

From the ad copy:

"This polymer fiber is 40% stronger than aramid fiber. Kevlar®, a product with which most tiers are familiar, is an aramid fiber. GSP is touted to be 10 times stronger than steel"
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
umutK
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of umutK
It looks so thick. Can you strip Veevus GSP thread?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Yes, it's like a wooly nylon or multi-strand kevlar in this respect.
MudMedic
View Profile
New user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
41 Posts

Profile of MudMedic
We use Phentex knitting yarn. It is strippable and strong, and quite invisible depending on what colour you get.
umutK
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of umutK
I am looking for a kevlar source. I want to buy and strip it myself. Any recommendation?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » DIY Kevlar Invisible Thread (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL