The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Trick ideas (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jojo4133
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of jojo4133
Hi, I'm still looking for ideas for my new show does anyone have any ideas for tricks? so far I have rex ignis, dimension l, grandfather top pick etc ... my show is very epic. I would appreciate ideas.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
JoJo, this is a very difficult question since we don't know anything about you or the type of show you want to design. Who are you performing for, what length of show do you want to do. Are you looking for closeup, stage, parlor or walk around? You said your show is very epic. What does that mean?
Where the magic begins
jojo4133
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of jojo4133
Hi Dave, I'm on a new show I'm doing in the theater (Parlor). So the show should go about 90-120 minutes. by epic I mean that it is partly underlaid with epic music. As a person on the stage, I am very elegant (steampunk)
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I like to help everyone but am very confused. If there is a stage it is not parlor. If your show is based on an "epic" we have to know what that story is, characters, appropriate props, etc.

are your desired effects supporting the characters, the storyline or some imaged power or ability?

For me "steampunk" cannot be "elegant" - that is the point of the game and weird fantasy.

So, what do you consider to be 'elegant' and why is that important to your planned show?

That is along show for any one person to sustain interest and astonishment. Who is your audience and their expectations as to magic.

You might be able to entertain folks for that long with mix of presentations, but "magic" requires a continuous cycle of anticipation and surprise (tention and release).

What else do you plan on doing besides magic effects?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Tim Snyder
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
112 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2021, jojo4133 wrote:
So the show should go about 90-120 minutes

I think David Copperfield's show is 90 Minutes and Mac King's is 70 minutes.

Your post comes across as someone trying to be funny, but as you see most of the magicians here treat people with respect. Although, there are some who would not mince words about how amateur your posts sound. Don't be offended, there is very little bad advice here. If this isn't a joke and you are serious, I would not do more than 90 minutes. It is better to leave the audience wanting more than having to worry about them becoming restless. If this is a paid gig, isn't better to work less for the same amount of money? Not mention the cost of the extra tricks you would need, as well as all of the hours spent practicing the new tricks.

The best way to find ideas for new tricks is to just browse this forum. Watch magicians on the tube. Look through an old library book. Use the search engine on the forum if you have something specific in mind. If you are going for a long show, use volunteers. This interaction can be interesting and will help you fill minutes. Good luck! I hope able to develop a great show.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
774 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Jojo, if You're performing a parlor show 2 hours would be quite long,
a parlor show is usually 30 minutes to an hour or so depending on
the audience.

A small stage show for an award banquet might run 45 to 75 minutes,
Useally an hour.

An evening show in a theater might run that long tho, but usually that is
A theater you rent and have a full production, uncommon for a solo perfomer.

I suggest focusing on the lower side of whatever venue or market You're targeting and expand
from there.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
774 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Everything I just wrote is moot if You're in a verity performance
and only a piece of the 2 hours.
jojo4133
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of jojo4133
Hello everyone, thank you very much for the honest feedback. Sorry for not being so clear (it's very difficult). the duration of the show includes a break. I absolutely agree with the duration of about 90 minutes. until now I was just a magician. But now I want to take another step in the direction of professionalism and am also looking for a personality that I want to be on stage. and yes, I mean it;) I have been doing magic since I was 11 years old and am now 21. I'm happy for every feedback and every tip you can give me. because we all know you never stop learning.
gowenmagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of gowenmagic
So, no one is going to just give you the goods. Anything anyone is willing to tell you will be pretty generic stuff most Magicians do, the classics, they work and are great, nothing wrong with them. To find the really good stuff you have to start some hardcore researching. This isn't just books/ forums trying to find tricks, you need to learn how to write and stage craft as well. If you start now and give it your all, you're 8-10 years out from a really really solid stage show. Best of luck.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
JoJo, if 90 minutes includes a break, I'm assuming it would run 60 minutes a break and then a final 30 minutes. The first half of your show is going to have to be super strong in order to get your audience back for the final set. You said you were doing a parlor show but then said it was underlaid with music. It's going to be very hard to keep a parlor audience entertained and interested with a music background. A trick or two with a music background would work depending on the presentation but not the entire show. Parlor means interaction with the audience.

You listed 3 effects in your opening post. Is that all you have? It would still help if we knew what you were aiming for. Mentalism, magic, comedy for example. There's 1000's of effects out there so it's difficult to make suggestions without a direction.
Where the magic begins
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
774 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Jojo, here is a recommendation,

Tsa by adam wilber, it is quite visible in a parlor environment.
there is several versions of this same concept,
It goes back to tommy wonder if I'm not mistaken.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Put one effect in the middle that uses a stooge. Well, that takes care of that slot. Think about what you are good at. Cards, coins, box tricks, silk tricks, ropes, what? The thing is, audiences respond to seeing an expert which comes across by the smoothness, the confidence etc. Don't put new stuff in. One has to live with a trick for years sometimes to get the feel. Meditate on what you know already and pick the stuff that YOU like and the audience will sense your connection to that piece or other. Meditate on the show. Visualization means to see yourself doing various tricks you know and decide if you think it would work. Then move on to another piece, etc. until you have it. It will come from within you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Trick ideas (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL