The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How to reverse bottom card on a packet trick? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dschmunis
View Profile
New user
Hillsboro, OR
91 Posts

Profile of dschmunis
Working on a new routine where I show 4 indifferent cards and then make all the ink disappear leaving me with 4 double blank cards.
Towards the end of the routine I have 4 double blanks cards (the back of the bottom one has rough on it) and a blank face- blue back card (with rough on the back side) right behind it.

In the process of lowering the cards to show the now blank face, I need to flip the bottom blue-back card so it sticks to the bottom double-blank.
What are some good resources to research different approaches to turning the blue-back card?

I’d appreciate any guidance or pointing me to other threads in the forum where this may have been discussed already.

best,
D
ssibal
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of ssibal
You can try a turnover pass without turning over the top packet, just turn the bottom card as you show the top cards. Having the audience looking down at a spread should help conceal the movement.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
It sounds like the classic "half pass" is what's called for if I understand the situation. In this move you, more or less, just secretly flip the bottom card over in place. Since there is generally a "tell" when you do this, there's an addition called the "Christ Twist" in which you rotate the packet 180 degrees in the horizontal plane as in an all around square up.

Here's a little video I made long ago that shows the details.

https://vimeo.com/87295466

So as not to make this public, there is a password. Email me at mpowers@mallofmagic.com and I'll email you the password.

Mike
PressureFan
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of PressureFan
If you can turn the packet face up as you reverse the card, Turnantula by Bob Farmer might work. There are two great small packet demos at Lybrary.com. It's a really neat move.
dschmunis
View Profile
New user
Hillsboro, OR
91 Posts

Profile of dschmunis
Hi all,

Thank you so much for the feedback, suggestions, leads and more. I think that the half pass is what I need (or at least one possible way to get there) as indeed I need to turn the bottom card (shown to the spectator as a blue back card) over so the roughing fluid on it can come in contact with the back of the card above (double blank) to form "one" single double blank card.

Any other sources/techniques will be much appreciated.
D
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
The Asher Twist might work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGNAfBQwz4M
dschmunis
View Profile
New user
Hillsboro, OR
91 Posts

Profile of dschmunis
Claudio, thank you so much for pointing me to this! Yes this seems to be more or less what I'm after.

The only difference is that I need to start the move from a vertical position as I'm holding the cards facing me because after removing the front card in the packet (which I shown as 4) the next card is blank - the back of the packet is blue and in the process of lowering the cards to horizontal need to change that one single blue-back card.

Are there any resources where to learn the routine and/or move?

best,
D
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
If I understand you correctly, a packet of cards are square at chest height after having displayed 4 cards in a one-at-a-time manner. A blank card is facing you and a blue back Is facing your audience. You then move from chest height presumably to waist height to display that they are blank.

Assuming you’re holding the cards in right hand end grip after displaying the last card, I’d pinch the blue backer between my left little finger on face of the card (closer to me) and ring finger on back of card (closer to audience) at the inner/lower left corner. As the hands come down, the left fingers curl inward turning the blue backer over before the hands coalesce again. The right hand with its packet helps provide cover, but the hands never appear to come apart. This is essentially a half pass but the left fingers are curling in rather than straightening out. I feel it conceals the finger movement better.

I’d agree a half pass + Christ Twist or the Asher Twist would work well too. You might also consider the possibility that there may be a better way to display the cards initially. Is the procedure you’re using the cleanest way to do it? Could you do it differently and not have to turn a card over? Is there another gaff you could use instead to get the result you want without compromising the strength of the effect? Are there other published methods of the same effect that have more impact and a cleaner handling? Just things to think about whenever you’re confronted with these dilemmas.

Good luck with it whichever route you go.
dschmunis
View Profile
New user
Hillsboro, OR
91 Posts

Profile of dschmunis
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the feedback but I'm not sure that I'm following the move but that could very well be for my lack of clarity in my description and newness to all things magic.

Hoping to have some free time in the coming days to shoot a quick video showing the setup and steps to help bring some clarity. Will post link here when ready.

Best,
D
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Hold your left hand palm up in front of you, the fingers together and pointing rightward. Place a single card across your left fingers, the left long edge of the card should be at the base of your fingers before they meet your palm. Keep your palm stationary but move your fingers together toward your palm, like making a fist. The card turns over. Basically do this under the cover of the rest of the packet as you move down to display. The clip I mentioned just helps control the card since it sounded like you were working at chest height.
imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
The McClintock Twist by Reed McClintock, might help as well. Similar to the Asher twist and done in a vertical position.
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
389 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
I’d have to see the routine in action. Often times you can change the moment or add a subtlety. This is sepecialky true with packet effects where one is flipping over cards.

That being said the aforementioned moves are brilliant action reversed.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Aaron Fisher's Paper Engine has a number of variations.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How to reverse bottom card on a packet trick? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL