The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Seeking a handful of knowledgeable opinions (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MattyMediocrity
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of MattyMediocrity
Hello!

I've built some effects I believe to be original, and I'd like to share them with the community. I'm not a very talented performer and there's a very real chance that I never will be. Since I might never be a good magician, my highest aspiration is creating things that good magicians like... but I am absolutely petrified of releasing something that's already been done or committing an egregious error with crediting. I understand how important that is and know it could end my passion before I even get started.

I've got a few people who I think will help me, but I'd like to have a few more knowledgeable folks that wouldn't mind taking a look at some things. You might see some stuff from me that's embarrassing levels of "stoopid"... but hopefully there's a couple peanuts in the steaming pile to make it interesting?

There are a couple things where I've been able to verify the originality of the gimmicks by submitting it to magic companies. But even with the original gimmicks, I know there's still many layers to doing it right.

I know from watching magic reviews, the creator is expected to teach every single move used in the performance.

This has me nervous. I'm much better at the work bench than teaching, but I'm committed to doing everything the right way.

This is just one small example: I have one effect where the verified original gimmick is the showpiece, but the routine uses a clip shift and a Faro. Now, I know I can't teach the clip shift because Chad Nelson still has it available for sale... but I think I can teach the Faro because I see dozens of YouTube tutorials on it. Do I have that right? And when I film the trailer and tutorial, do I change up the color change? Or do I keep the color change, credit Chad and leave a link to where it can be purchased?

Anyways, this is just a small sample of the questions I have. If this is the type of thing you wouldn't mind helping out with, please leave a comment or DM me. I think I'll have around five vids to run by you guys in mid January.

I feel like this knowledge is the type of thing people pay a lot of money for. I apologize for being broke. Maybe I can pay you in gimmicks if you like any of them, or if you're in SoCal, I turn a mean wrench 😂 Need some low IQ manual labor done? I'm your guy!

Thank you so much.

Edit: Another caveat is that I understand that original doesn't mean good. I also need people to be my "bro in the Gillette razor commercial" who will tell me bluntly that the idea is dumb and to let that one go!
Creator of Molly Mayhem's 25 Cent Tacos <ultra visual coin bend> Smile

I try to treat others as if this were a small community where we're likely to be face to face one day Smile
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
750 Posts

Profile of Fedora
The faro is more than old enough to be public domain,
no problem teaching it as far as I can see.

As for chad nelsons move, if he still has it for sale
it would be bad ethics to teach it, a way around
would be to ask chad for permission to teach it
as a part of your product with credits.

If you can't get in contact (or he says no) the
best you can do is mention his product and where to
learn it.

At least that's how I see it.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
750 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Additionally someone buying a tutorial will expect
all the necessary instructions to perform it,
so if chad doesn't give permission you're going
To need an alternative handling you can teach.
MattyMediocrity
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of MattyMediocrity
Hey, Fedora. Would you mind if I DM'd you some things to get your opinion on?
Creator of Molly Mayhem's 25 Cent Tacos <ultra visual coin bend> Smile

I try to treat others as if this were a small community where we're likely to be face to face one day Smile
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
750 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2021, MattyMediocrity wrote:
Hey, Fedora. Would you mind if I DM'd you some things to get your opinion on?

Sure, anytime.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Seeking a handful of knowledgeable opinions (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL