The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Singularity (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
This is my latest coin routine, Singularity, aka The Five Coin Trick. Watch the 3-minute video performance at:

https://youtu.be/H2CflGvdjB8

Also can be seen with photos and video at:
www.barnowskymagic.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9531 Posts

Profile of Mb217
What a nice effect! 😊 Good routine to it with multi phases and one surprise after another. That the coins are the star of the show works well. And that can…how clever and so innocent looking. Me likey! 😁

If you like a parlor style presentation of a quality coin effect, The Good Doctor here is your guy, he’s a bit of a craftsman as to all things magic, among being a man of many high talents. 😉 You always get quality magic with his offerings. And I love surprises in coin magic, and this one does not disappoint. 👍🏽

Wonderful piece! 💥
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7530 Posts

Profile of RNK
I love my Time Tunnel from Larry! Beautiful prop that creates some great magic. Singularity seems slightly similar to Time Tunnel and little larger prop than I would use at my gigs. But if you think you will perform this effect after watching the demo then I would highly recommend it as I don't think you'll be disappointed in the props. I have a few of Larry's items and have not been disappointed with any of them.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Hey Larry, thanks for sharing!
Overall, I enjoyed watching it.

If it's not too forward of me, some quick feedback:

- I generally enjoy your patter, though some of this one felt a little forced. Probably because of some tough-to-rhyme words. Smile

- I think you should emphasize the "5-coin" piece a little harder. As far as I can tell, you mentioned it only once in the beginning, which I personally entirely missed the first time through, and then was extremely confused when you brought it up again at the end.

- If you're going to do a recording with a mat from a fixed angle, I'd suggest marking where the end of the camera's field of view is. There were several times that you dumped out the can/laid out the coins, and some (or even all, near the end) of the coins were obscured off frame, and this is pretty damaging to the experience as a viewer.

- There were a few repositions of the can/lid that felt strangely motivated to me. Why slide the can off the table onto the black hole, rather than lifting it up? Why move and talk slowly most of the time, and then rush through taking the lid from the bottom to the top, only to immediately flip the can over again? I understand there are undoubtedly reasons from where the components need to end up, but they stand out very starkly to me in a routine that is otherwise has a tone of being calm and deliberate.

I hope that's useful as you continue to refine the routine.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Appreciate the feedback. I set the camera on a tripod and set the field of view so that it was as close as possible to the action. Too often videos I see are staged so you see the entire performer but the coins and hands are too small to see clearly. This was a compromise I made. I know at one point the three coins after being produced are off the edge of the field of view. That was a mistake but at that point, those coins were no longer being used. I could have picked up the can instead of sliding it, but it was easier to do the latter.

Larry
blackstone99
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of blackstone99
Enjoyed the routine esp with the climaxes of the giant coin and then the pear. Well done. You sold me. Just ordered it from your website.

Paul
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Very cool. I always like when a jumbo coin surprises me.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2022, Larry Barnowsky wrote:
Appreciate the feedback. I set the camera on a tripod and set the field of view so that it was as close as possible to the action. Too often videos I see are staged so you see the entire performer but the coins and hands are too small to see clearly. This was a compromise I made. I know at one point the three coins after being produced are off the edge of the field of view. That was a mistake but at that point, those coins were no longer being used. I could have picked up the can instead of sliding it, but it was easier to do the latter.

Larry

Yes, I definitely understand the tensions around field of view. I think the one to skip your face and focus on the hands was a good one. But when things go out of view, it's hard to tell if something suspect is happening or if it's just the camera, and in one of the times here I barely saw any of them come appear before they went off screen. You lose the final display of everything laid out together.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Recently finished the run of 18 Singularity units. No more after that. They are very time-consuming to make.
If you are interested in getting one, I have 7 left in stock. Check and click my banner in this coin forum or click this
Watch the video performance at https://youtu.be/H2CflGvdjB8]
In addition to all the props, it includes 12 pages of instruction with 41 color photos and a video tutorial.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Singularity (11 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL