The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review of Card Jones by Ryan Matney (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Book: Card Jones by Ryan Matney
Magic type: Cards, non-gimmicked
Level: All
Style: Walk around, table side

There are thousands of card effects published based on similar themes, some great, some merely filler, unfortunately most forgettable. One of the challenges we face as magicians who do card magic and may not necessarily creators of our own routines is to filter out the bad and get our hands on the good effects with presentations that we can easily mold to fit our performing style. We want effects we can do next week and impress the lay public. Luckily Ryan Matney has put together 20 routines that he has put together over the last few years and has made it available in Card Jones.

Ryan isn’t bringing any great new concepts to the table, those are few and far between, but what he does bring is a selection of well thought out routines, many based on the work of Peter Duffie, that have better than average presentations and patter. Ryan does give credit to the sources of the routines but his humor shines through as does his creativity. I have nothing but praise for the presentations and for those of you who like to use patter that comes with the routine this is your ticket, that is if you want to entertain and be funny.

While a slim volume (Ryan went with the spiral binding which I like a lot, that way you can put the book down flat on the table) it is solid in it’s material (I could refer you to 200 page books that have nothing usable in them if volume is your thing). The book also comes with a bonus routine, The Demolished Deck, which I liked. Lets look at some of the material if you don’t mind.

There’s No Success Like Failure: Fun routine, well written, based on the classic card stab plot. A very good opener for a card routine.

The White Chapel Solution: (I love anything that references White Chapel). This is a nice packet trick with a strong presentation, very creative. I don’t know if Ryan is English but he is obviously influenced by those in the UK.

Discard Dating Service: A fun, quick, routine, would be great for a group of young ladies at a table.

Close Your Eyes, I’m a Memory: Multi Phase routine, better for those times you want to spend a few extra minutes with the spectator. Nice routine.

A-Proxy Mate: Fun ace location done by the spectator, good stuff

Amara: For you bizarrist out there, good presentation, well thought out.

There is much more but I don’t want to boor you. They are all pretty darn good and are all performable for most people.

Now for my criticism, and this is a pet peeve of mine and one that I frequently encounter. In fact I may be one of the few that has a problem with this kind of stuff but here it goes. I believe that if a sleight is going to be referenced beyond the standard sleights (double lift, Elmsley Count, Double Cut, you get my drift) then a complete description should be given of that sleight not an abbreviated one. It should not be assumed that purchasers of this volume also has Patrick Duffies works as well or knows which issue of MAGIC a sleight appears in without referencing the month and year. While most of the referred to sleights have a brief description (adequate enough for those who have been around a deck for awhile) I would prefer more. There was one routine that I couldn’t do because I didn’t know the referenced sleight and just couldn’t envision it. I would love it if Ryan could put up a site describing these sleights in detail. Perhaps by using a password available from the text of the book to keep those who didn’t buy the book out. Most are Patrick Duffie sleights, he’s a renegade, maybe he would go for it. This isn’t enough to not get this book because, as I said, it is no worse in this area than the magic magazines or 80% of the magic books put out. In fact Ryan at least gives some info, too often what is given is the name of the sleight and where you may find it and you are on your own. Like I said, this is just my pet peeve so I had to bring it up.

Over all this is a recommended purchase for those of you looking for some good card tricks. Congrats to Ryan on an outstanding effort, very well done.

Cost: $25.00, Ryan takes paypal and can arrange orders at Ryan@foocan.com and note he has a special where you can get the book and his routine Noahs Challenge for $30, such a deal!
Ryan Matney
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Ryan Matney
Thanks you Steve for that review.

Also, if anyone wanted the book AND the packet trick deal they should act quickly. I am fast running out of packet tricks and I'm not sure when I can get more. I currently have about 10 left!
www.pocket-tricks.com
The Close-Up Magic Shop
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review of Card Jones by Ryan Matney (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL