The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How Many Versions of The Koran Deck Are There? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I have heard Koran Decks called:

The Koran Deck
The Koran 101 Deck
The Spyder Deck
5 Star Prediction
The Ultimate Koran Deck (improved, no less!)

Plus a couple of others I can't remember.

My question: Are the decks all constructed a bit differently, or are the differences only in how the deck is used/presented?

Or are there so many versions of it that it is impossible to tell?

Is there a book or video that discusses The Koran
Deck(s) in some detail? I have seen the Osterlind video that talks a bit about it during an explanation of the Radar Deck. I know about Koran's Legacy and will consider that.

Thanks for any input.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
[quote]On 2004-06-26 13:10, Chessmann wrote:
I have heard Koran Decks called:

The Koran 101 Deck
5 Star Prediction

These are the same, though 5 Star Prediction can be done without The Koran 101 Deck.

The Ultimate Koran Deck (improved, no less!)

I'd like to see that myself!

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
So, the "Koran Deck" and the "Koran 101 Deck" are constructed differently?

I have seen "The Ultimate Koran Deck" on many internet magic sites. Check it out. But again, I do not know if a change in how the deck is constructed makes it the "Ultimate", or if it is just a change in presentation.

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
The best known Koran deck is probably the 101 deck. I believe the original title was the Al Koran Miracle Five Star Forcing Deck. At any rate I bought one from Richard Himber in 1961. Koran created AT LEAST one other "special" deck and there has always been some confusion over which one you're talking about when you discuss the "Koran Deck."

Many variations of it have been created over the years. I used my own version in an act that I did in 1961-1964 or so called "The Powers of the Mind." Ultimately I released it under the title Mentalism 101. I'm working right now at releasing it with an instructional DVD. Hopefully it will be available in the late summer or early fall. I have just a few left of the set with printed instructions only.

Simon Aronson had a very similar approach, although I doubt if he was aware of my version when he worked out his. You can read his routine in his book "Bound to Please" under the title "The Aronson Artifice."

If you want to know more about Mentalism 101, email me or PM me and we can discuss it.
Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Dennis,

Is the other "special deck" you mentioned an improvement of the original Koran Deck (i.e., does it accomplish the same purpose and effect as a Koran Deck), or is it a different contruction to be used for a different type if effect?

Mark
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
The deck which I named "Mentalism 101" is a version of the Koran 101 deck, but "improved." It is not the deck that Simon Aronson discusses in Bound to Please, but it is similar. I think mine was created first, but it was not released to the market until the nineties.

My routine for the deck's use is called "Equi-Jazzin" and the presentation is, I believe, unique. It's one of the presentations detailed in the instructions. The instructions also include the details of my "Triple Prophecy Box" which I released many years ago and which has not been available for a long time.

The Koran 101 deck can be a powerful tool in the hands of a good performer. Good luck with your presentations of it.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Fayaad Manie
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Fayaad Manie
Richard Osterlind's Radar Deck is a version of the Koran Deck
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Fayaad,

I know the Radar Deck from Osterlind's video. Osterlind says that the Radar is a version of the Koran. My question is, is it a version of the original (or, first) Koran Deck?

I have a Koran 101 Deck, which operates on a different, though related prinicple.

Mark
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I think most of what's out there now could be considered a "version" of the original Koran Deck.

(History note: It seems like Edward Bagshawee, the English magic dealer, was the first to suggest a force pack that used duplicate banks of cards arranged in rotation.)

You have the Radar Deck, you have Ted Lesley's version, I have my own variation, Docc Hilford's Cassandra deck can be seen as a advanced version, Max Maven's Tossed Out Tech, and a few more!

All very, very powerful if used correctly, with this I mean, with proper presentation!
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
I am trying to find directions to my Koran deck if anyone can help please message me. Thanks
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How Many Versions of The Koran Deck Are There? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL