The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Magic Effects to Teach Small Groups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davidj40
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of davidj40
I’ve been toying with the idea to have a small group at our church for 10-12 weeks where the focus would be to demonstrate a magic effect, then teach it, then have them practice. Any suggestions on what effects you would do or recommend? I would like to be able to give each person the magic supplies each week so the cost would not be prohibitive for some.
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
If the small groups are beginners, then I'd probably start with some self-working or almost zero-move mind-blowing effects that focus on SHOWMANSHIP and MISDIRECTION on the first two weeks. They will learn some underlying principles and structures when constructing the methods for achieving the effects. Since you didn't specify the genres of magic, then Card Magic is a suitable choice because playing cards are readily available supplies for a lot of people.

On Week 3-8, you can gradually introduce some classic effects that can be achieved by basic sleights or systems such as:

• False Cuts
  • Locations (Variants of Dai Vernon's Emotional Reaction, Simon Aronson's Prior Commitment, many of John Bannon's card effects)
  • Forces (Prediction effects)
  • Peeks (Joshua Jay's Impossible Three)
  • False Counts (Variants of Dai Vernon's Twisting the Aces)
  • Stacks (Speller tricks, Tamariz's Neither Blind Nor Silly, Variants of Paul Curry's Out of This World, 10-Card Poker Deal, The Bannon Triumph)

followed by some intermediate moves on Week 9-12

• False Shuffles
  • Controls
  • Switches
  • Palms

Check out this thread: "10 of the Best Self-Working Card Tricks".
davidj40
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of davidj40
Thanks for your thoughts and especially the 10 card tricks, I have not seen that.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Agree with SamChak. You might also do something like Buddha Paper - easy to construct and teach. Or even professor's nightmare is an easy rope routine (but teach them good handling). 10 - 12 weeks is long enough to whet their appetite and see if anyone wants to really dive in. Simple/ easy to do gives the chance to focus on presentation which is most important. Also, I would suggest performing something more complex with good presentation (but no reveal of how done) to show them what can be done if willing to put in the effort. Maybe alternate between your own performance in person and a video of someone else the next week. Maybe inspire and cultivate their interest. A good resource for performance teaching is the book "Maximum Performance" by Ken Weber.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Just surfing the "Café" - thought - what about the 6 card repeat - referring to 'loafs and fishes' - any rope tie, referring to 1st.Corinthians 10:13
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On May 18, 2022, Russo wrote:
Just surfing the "Café" - thought - what about the 6 card repeat - referring to 'loafs and fishes' - any rope tie, referring to 1st.Corinthians 10:13

The effect would fit with a Jesus multiplying bread.., but; Doesn't that use gaff's?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Just 3 cards within a folded 2 card , so it looks like 1 card with 3 cards within- so six groups equal 18 cards if you know the set up. To me gaff's, are mechanical/gimmics ????????
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2019, Deckstacker wrote:
I don't know if anyone here would like to try using Phill Smith's "Stegosaurus" with a biblical/religious slant, but I recently spent an hour poring over Phill's list of stego words with that in mind and came up with the following list. It's not ideal, I know, but perhaps someone may find it useful. Hope so. (And yes, I know, "limbo" does not actually appear in any common translation of the Bible, but I liked it better than "holly" or "young," which were the only other choices I found that even came close to working.)

0. limbo 1. bible 2. linen 3. ghost 4. bosom 5. omega
6. myrrh 7. judas 8. groom 9. nails 10. pagan
11. bride 12. psalm 13. oasis 14. mercy 15. bread
16. skull 17. cubit 18. thorn 19. abide 20. shall
21. tithe 22. torah 23. sheaf 24. rabbi 25. saint
26. truth 27. cross 28. dwell 29. reaps 30. teach 31. straw

Possibly somewhat tacky of me to quote myself from a post I made some 4 years ago, but ... well, since purchasers of this effect are encouraged to make their own homemade props, I thought you might find this something you'd want to look at. Stegosaurus is still sold by Penguin and a few other vendors. As for whether or not you'd need to pay for multiple copies for your church group members, perhaps writing directly to 'The Man' himself (Phill Smith) might score you a 'special dispensation' in the form of a group discount. (Couldn't hurt to ask!)
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Magic Effects to Teach Small Groups (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL