The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Books on improving sleight of hand techniques? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Schlawiner
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Schlawiner
Hi!

Are there any books which especially focus on improving the basic sleight of hand techniques (e.g.: double lift, elmsley count, culling, ...). Most magic books either show new tricks, new sleights or write about theory or presentation, but I'm looking for books which give handling hints/tips for these core-sleights and which go into depth.

I know that card college is the de-facto standard work, but I'm wondering if there are any other books on this topic? For example, "Mr. Jennings Takes It Easy" helped me a lot to improve my technique, I'm now looking for other books like it.
imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
These might be what your looking for;

Techno Card Magic by Daniel Rhod
Counts Cuts Moves and Subtlety by Jerry Mentzer
Close Culls by Harapan Ong

The first two are older but come up on eBay from time to time. The Close Culls book I think you can get from Vanishing Magic Inc still

Take care
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
Card Finesse I and II by Jon Racherbaumer are great if you want to improve the basic sleight of hand technique, in fact, most of Jon Racherbaumer focus on that aspects

Ron Bauer's Private studies serious is a great one, too.

Last but not least, any books with Vernon's teaching in it are must read
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Every book by/about John Carney
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
You don't mention coins, but my book Rubinstein Coin Magic has the entire first part dedicated to just new sleights.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Marlo’s Revolutionary Card Technique
dawnzubair
View Profile
New user
Singapore
85 Posts

Profile of dawnzubair
Card college series has plenty of pages dedicated to teaching the sleights.
Les_Harris
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Les_Harris
I was looking for the same kind of book. I found it in "Mr. Jennings Takes It Easy". In depth direction on improving your core sleights. After each group of sleights there is trick that highlights the sleight, so you have something to practiced it on. Highly recommended!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Books on improving sleight of hand techniques? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL