The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Easy Indoor Back Drop Idea? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville NC
230 Posts

Profile of funemagic
I saw these is a catalog last night and thought they might work for an indoor show. Would not be suitable for each performance venue but would work well where the ceilings are not more that 12 feet high. Here is the link.

Look at the picture showing how to set up a
"dust free environment" using two or more. That is what looked like it might work as a back drop using two and a piece of fabric to match.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
These could leave marks on your customers ceiling, or if they had a spray on stucco finish or you put too much pressure on the ceiling you would damage it as well.
Plus if they have high cathedral ceilings your drop just wont work.
I use a seamless paper holder with a variety of differnt backdrops depending which show I'm doing.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
249 Posts

Profile of afun14u
Yes this will work...however if you are planning on using these in someones home they may not want you pressing these aganst thier ceiling. They will leave a mark on blown ceilings. Just a thought. I have seen them used and really liked the idea.

Robert Jones
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
funemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville NC
230 Posts

Profile of funemagic
Hmmm... your right. Never thought about leaving a mark. Thanks. Payne, what is a seamless paper holder?
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I've tried many things over many years, a lot just being a 'rod for my own back' and of no importance either to the show or the bookers. Probably the most successful being a crushed black velvet drop I made about 6 foot high. I put the velvet (like a curtain) onto some fairly thick dowelling (it just rolled up for transport), and placed this on top of a lightweight clothes rail/stand. I used a large Van at the time, now I just use either an SUV or Estate car (wagon), so not the space. My Estate car is already packed now for tomorrow's parties (Sat.) Three oblong drummers accessory cases, a 60 watt Laney Combo amp., a fasten together light box with 8 coloured spots, 5 large Marionettes, a two section folding screen to put these behind, oh, and when I go out two black plastic bags of ready inflated 260E modelling balloons . . . reckon this is enough these days ! Don't do houseparties these days, just parties in Church halls, Village halls etc. But causing any sort of damage was always a worry. I know of one entertainer who smashed a light fitting with his Punch and Judy set-up. He offered to pay for the damage, - but the client said it was one of a complete matching set that went through the entire house! - and yes, she wanted the lot replacing . . .
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have also used seamless paper holders that photographers use. It works put is it is a lot to carry.

Look on Ebay for used trade show exhibits frameworks. Not as durable as a Spider but they do work. I was just at a school auction where the whole thing with lights and ATA case went for $5.
Certainly worth checking out.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Payne,

I bid and got a similar one you posted a link too.
I paid $76 but mine breaks down smaller. I think it is the 014-2 model.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use a backdrop frame made by Jim Sommers. It's great to setup the show behind and I can move it from in front of my props and put it in back of them very easily. It can even double as a front curtain, when used that way - very easy to move. I think Klamm stocks them.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I currently use the seamless paper holders, as well. However, the first backdrop frame I used was made of PVC pipe and music stand bases (the heavy black ones used in schools... not the flimsy fold up jobs.) In one respect, it was better... the bases did not flair out nearly as large, so they took up less floor space when set up. For an in-home setup, that may be a benefit.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
It would be good for my pole dancing routine....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Easy Indoor Back Drop Idea? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL