The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SOLO - Hands free music & show cue system (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dadswell
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of dadswell
Not sure if this has been mentioned on the Café yet but for those who haven't seen it - this is genuinely excellent. Sam Fitton is spearheading this project which is an absolute game-changer for the professional performer: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sam......e-system

In a nutshell, SOLO is a revolutionary way to manage your show music using your props and gestures as your cues! It uses RFID technology to trigger specific tracks based on which tags are scanned. Essentially it eliminates the need for a tech team, relying on ordered playlists and fumbling with remotes. After hearing some updates from Sam - the range on the device, battery life and the dedicated app capabilities are all second to none.

The project has just met target over on Kickstarter and it's getting some real attention from some reputable names in magic. If you want in on the action then I'd get involved sooner rather than later. You'll also save some money off the retail price which is also a bonus!

Craig Petty has recently spoken to Sam all about it over on his YouTube channel - safe to say that Craig is definitely a fan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41SuXCvnN48

Cheers,
Adam
Check out my effects 'Loki, Perplexions & Lexicon'

Card Magic & Mentalism Membership: www.patreon.com/DeceptiveSecrets
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
What if you have to pause a track, or stop it early, or want to play a track when you don’t require a prop?
How
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
103 Posts

Profile of How
I was looking at this but the price seems steep for some Tags and an app? It seems like this can be accomplished for 75% less. Why is it priced so high?
Elmer 84
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Elmer 84
As the system is app based how can buyers be sure it will be properly supported in the future?
dadswell
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of dadswell
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2022, Elmer 84 wrote:
As the system is app based how can buyers be sure it will be properly supported in the future?

From what I remember Sam talks about this on his interview with Craig Smile

Elmer 84
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Elmer 84
Thanks, I'll go and look it up.
dadswell
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of dadswell
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2022, PatrickGregoire wrote:
What if you have to pause a track, or stop it early, or want to play a track when you don’t require a prop?

I'm not sure about pausing but then again I'm struggling to think of a time (especially mid-show). I know there is a master fade out option though which is definitely useful should you need to 'kill the music'.

With regards to not needing props I believe you can use the app to manually play the music Smile

samfittonmagic
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
11 Posts

Profile of samfittonmagic
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2022, How wrote:
I was looking at this but the price seems steep for some Tags and an app? It seems like this can be accomplished for 75% less. Why is it priced so high?

As the creator and sole investor in the product I'm probably best positioned to answer this Smile

It's not 'just an app and some tags,' you also get one of the most powerful wireless RFID devices ever created. SOLO is completely custom designed hardware for performers that has taken more than 3 years to develop, refine and test. The outcome is a professional piece of equipment that is reliable, secure and incredibly powerful. Tags can be scanned from 18cm away, whilst range to an iPad has surpassed 100m LOS which for something the size of a playing card was unimaginable even a few years ago.

The app, SOLOstudio, comes with all purchases of SOLO and is the brains behind the operation. Professional app development isn't cheap, especially when it has to work 100% of the time, however the app also allows us to upgrade both the app features and hardware remotely, meaning the system can only get better over time as we grow & expand.
samfittonmagic
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
11 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 18, 2022, PatrickGregoire wrote:

Currently inside the app (SOLOstudio) you can set a 'panic' or 'master fade out' tag which when scanned fades out all playing tracks. A track can then be restarted, using it's tag/s whenever you like in your act Smile

If you don't have a prop, object or environmental interaction - I use my right and left sleeves (for example). The left sleeve is my master fade out (panic) which allows me to fade out all currently playing tracks when gesturing and similarly my right sleeve is volunteer walk on music, which when I gesture to them their music plays... You can get creative and cue music with anything you like!

Sam
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:

That's the best question Asked,and I for one will never use Apps again,as no support and don't work anymore, to take one's word is just not enough when it's hard earn't money,just no Guarantee these days.
samfittonmagic
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
11 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 19, 2022, Fire Starter wrote:
Quote:

That's the best question Asked,and I for one will never use Apps again,as no support and don't work anymore, to take one's word is just not enough when it's hard earn't money,just no Guarantee these days.

Hey Firestarter! The app currently has a 10 year road map to include updates as and when deemed necessary by OS providers (ie: Android & iOS basically) however this will likely extend as we continue to grow. I think what many people also haven't realised is that I'm using this app & product in my own professional shows. I'm not just banging out a cheap product to make a quick buck by selling 500 to Murphys(!), as I can assure you, the development costs of this alone mean I'm in this for the long haul, even if I didn't use and rely on the product myself.

SOLO depends on the SOLOstudio app and so keeping the app up to date, with regular updates is one of my biggest priorities after we launch.
Elmer 84
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Elmer 84
Thanks Sam, all very reassuring.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2022, samfittonmagic wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 19, 2022, Fire Starter wrote:
Quote:

Hey Firestarter! The app currently has a 10 year road map to include updates as and when deemed necessary by OS providers (ie: Android & iOS basically) however this will likely extend as we continue to grow. I think what many people also haven't realised is that I'm using this app & product in my own professional shows. I'm not just banging out a cheap product to make a quick buck by selling 500 to Murphys(!), as I can assure you, the development costs of this alone mean I'm in this for the long haul, even if I didn't use and rely on the product myself.

SOLO depends on the SOLOstudio app and so keeping the app up to date, with regular updates is one of my biggest priorities after we launch.

Thank you Sam for the further info
dadswell
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of dadswell
Sam has just posted a LIVE Demo over on youtube - definitely worth a watch: https://youtu.be/3ZdrEkTsLxY

Elmer 84
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Elmer 84
The demo is very impressive and the Gremlins music made me lol.
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
Sam, backed you on Kickstarter and can not wait to get one and put into play,

Nm
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Sam - I understand this wouldn't take advantage of the main Solo feature (freeform playlist), but could you set up a tag to act as a "next track" button and set up the app as a playlist?
How
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
103 Posts

Profile of How
What kind of battery does this take and is it easily replaceable?
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Does anyone have an email for sam? I’d like to purchase the unit but have a question related to payment. I don’t see a support email on the solo website.
Wlmatti12
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Wlmatti12
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2023, elimagic wrote:
Does anyone have an email for sam? I’d like to purchase the unit but have a question related to payment. I don’t see a support email on the solo website.

He is available on Facebook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SOLO - Hands free music & show cue system (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL