The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Upcoming Darwin Ortiz release news. (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
If you are a Darwin Ortiz hater then you might wanna skip this. I'm on Jason Ladanye's email list and just got notification that there is a new Ortiz release in the pipeline. Apparently it will only be available via Jason's website. No idea what it's going to be though.

"Also, HUGE NEWS: We are right around the corner from a new release from the legend himself Darwin Ortiz. We’re putting the finishing touches on it right now. This should be ready for release within a few weeks. I’ve seen it and it’s absolutely amazing. Note: There will be only ONE place you can buy this and that's right here on my website. So, subscribe to my mailing list for more updates and news."

Also wanted to mention for the peeps that like Darwin Ortiz's work...if you haven't already, check out the explanations on Volume 3 of his Nothing but the Best series. There is a very nice and normal looking shuffle handling buried in there which I missed the first time I watched it. I just ran across it a couple nights ago. (I've been spending years tweaking and re-tweaking my "shuffles" to look as natural as possible.)

Was just reading this and thought someone might think I am a paid shill. Nope! Just a serious fanboy of Darwin Ortiz. I find his effects to be constructed better than anything else I've run across. And have been waiting years to hear this news. In the meantime I'm on second copies of Darwins books as my first copies have started to fall apart. lol!
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Great news! Anything from Darwin Ortiz is gold.

Mike
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
What type of shuffle is it? Overhand, Riffle? Thanks so much for sharing this info.

Sean
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
It's a false riffle shuffle based on Marlo idea so you get a very clean cut at the end. Of course there are a ton of these I just thought this was one was especially clean. I've been rewatching explanations buried in videos from guys like England, Ladanye and Ortiz and finding a lot of great nuggets. Probably would be easier to just reread and learn everything in the Forte books!
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Darwin has posted in the Café on occasion. Always delightful. Lynn
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
"Also, HUGE NEWS: We are right around the corner from a new release from the legend himself Darwin Ortiz. We’re putting the finishing touches on it right now. This should be ready for release within a few weeks. I’ve seen it and it’s absolutely amazing. Note: There will be only ONE place you can buy this and that's right here on my website. So, subscribe to my mailing list for more updates and news."

Having stumbled back into magic recently this is exciting news and I am looking forward to this.
ME
websmith2000
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of websmith2000
Can't wait!
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
150 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
This is great news. Will be a buyer...
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
Here is the latest on this from Jason Ladanye - “Darwin Ortiz has a new 2-hour video that's about to drop soon... only on my website! That's two hours of Darwin performing in 1984!! Old tapes have surfaced showing Ortiz in his prime performing in a casual setting. What an opportunity to be able to travel back in time and see this legend perform his best material. I was fooled many times ... even though he's been my teacher for over 20 years!! Stay tuned for the release date!”

Wasn’t expecting this but am looking forward to it for sure.
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
I spent years dabbling in magic but like many others it took getting exposed to the work of one of our greats to make me realize I didn’t know squat. 1999 after moving to Utah I found Showplace magic. This guy named Paul Vigil asked me what I was interested in. I said that all I could really afford was a deck of cards. And was looking for a way to get a signature to jump from one card to another. He showed me a routine like that plus a couple others. I wasnt fooled but….there was something different about the effects he was doing. He sold me a book called “Cardshark” by Darwin Ortiz. (Basically a nobody in my mind.) The book set off a nuke in my head. I realized the construction of an effect was vital and in my mind Darwin became the gold standard.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Info from Jason Ladanye: An update on the Darwin Ortiz release: We are just waiting for a few final edits. This footage is from 1984 so we're doing our best to remaster and bring you the highest quality version we can. Please be patient as you can't rush perfection!
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
Picked it up last night. And watched it as well. If you are a Darwin Ortiz fan you will want this for sure.

A couple thoughts:

1. The performing style of Darwin is worth studying here. His handling of disruptions during an effect was edifying. I really like his conversational approach while yet still being in charge.

2. The two hours is broken up into a few different sections. The first section surprised me the most. He was doing other peoples material. It was a real snapshot in time as some of these effects would later be tweaked and appear in his later books. (At this point "At the Card Table" had been out for 6 years.)

3. A later segment had some gambling material. And then a segment after that had some routines from the aforementioned "At the Card Table."

4. I think it is worth studying how he handles cards not just when doing sleights but even in simple tasks like laying the cards down on the table. You can tell that every detail has been worked over. He even discusses this at the end in the bonus section.

Summary: When I first heard of Darwin's work 20 plus years ago I also heard a couple negative comments about his performing style. Well...seeing him perform for this group basically brings an end to that. Here is the deal. Watching some performance dvds (from other performers) from a few decades ago and the style, language and how the audience members are treated appears dated. Not Darwin. His professional approach works just as well then as now. That might be the greatest value from this release.

And oh yeah - some seriously strong card magic and gambling routines! I was caught off guard several times. And one routine still has me thinking it's not possible.
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2022, rnaviaux wrote:
Picked it up last night. And watched it as well. If you are a Darwin Ortiz fan you will want this for sure.

A couple thoughts:

1. The performing style of Darwin is worth studying here. His handling of disruptions during an effect was edifying. I really like his conversational approach while yet still being in charge.

2. The two hours is broken up into a few different sections. The first section surprised me the most. He was doing other peoples material. It was a real snapshot in time as some of these effects would later be tweaked and appear in his later books. (At this point "At the Card Table" had been out for 6 years.)

3. A later segment had some gambling material. And then a segment after that had some routines from the aforementioned "At the Card Table."

4. I think it is worth studying how he handles cards not just when doing sleights but even in simple tasks like laying the cards down on the table. You can tell that every detail has been worked over. He even discusses this at the end in the bonus section.

Summary: When I first heard of Darwin's work 20 plus years ago I also heard a couple negative comments about his performing style. Well...seeing him perform for this group basically brings an end to that. Here is the deal. Watching some performance dvds (from other performers) from a few decades ago and the style, language and how the audience members are treated appears dated. Not Darwin. His professional approach works just as well then as now. That might be the greatest value from this release.

And oh yeah - some seriously strong card magic and gambling routines! I was caught off guard several times. And one routine still has me thinking it's not possible.

Co-sign! And, is the "impossible" routine the one from Annemann? Smile

Mike
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2022, tenchu wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2022, rnaviaux wrote:

A couple thoughts:

Co-sign! And, is the "impossible" routine the one from Annemann? Smile

Mike

Yes it was. The second Annemann effect that is.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
If you like Darwin Ortiz cardmagic then this video is a great experience. Fun to see the master in action 1984. Many great effects to watch..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Upcoming Darwin Ortiz release news. (11 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL