The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Another B'Wave Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Does anyone know if B'Wave originally began without the gimmick card? I have been playing with alternating between a gimmicked version and an ungimmicked version and I get equally good reations from both. I'm sure the idea is not original with me, but it did get me thinking about the evolution of the effect.
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
What is B'Wave?

I allways confuse it with the Brainwave
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Rtgreen:

How about an ungimmicked version using a Himber Wallet? That way you still have your 'outs' but the cards can be examined afterwards if you want.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2004-07-01 14:07, Samuel wrote:
What is B'Wave?

B'Wave is a Max Maven packet effect with a similar routine much like the Brainwave Deck, however it only uses 4 cards and the card the spectator names is face up and the other 3 are blank. A similar routine by John Bannon is called Twisted Sisters. Both of these are excellent effects and if you are into cards should be in your arsenal.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
The beauty of B'wave is its SIMPLICITY! Changing the method by adding Himber wallets, or whatever is counter-effective. Just do the trick with the gaff, and don't worry about it. No one wants to examine the cards when you are done anyway. If they do, you are telegraphing to them that something is wrong, and you need to take a closer look at the way in which you present the effect. I do this effect more than any other, and I NEVER am asked for the cards. Besides, lay people do not know about "trick cards". They only know about "trick decks". Smile
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I don't have a problem with the gimmicked card. I've never been questioned with it either. And I definitely agree that the simplicity is what make B'Wave a great effect. It is straight forward and like real magic. I am just curious about the origins and evolution of the effect to its present form. With just a very simple modification to the presentation you can easily do away with the need for a gimmicked card.

Quote:
On 2004-07-01 14:07, Samuel wrote:
What is B'Wave?

Here is a little more detailed account:

The spectator is asked to think of any of the four queens. That card is show to be face up in a packet of four cards. Also it has a different colored back and the remaining cards are blank.

Dramatically, it is wonderfully structured. Each revelation builds logically from the previous, but none of them are expected.
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Quote:
On 2004-07-01 16:39, rtgreen wrote:
I am just curious about the origins and evolution of the effect to its present form. With just a very simple modification to the presentation you can easily do away with the need for a gimmicked card.

Rtgreen... You may want to look at James Swain's version in "Miracles With Cards". It does not use a gaff and is called "Boxed B'Wave"

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I have replaced the gaff a time or two with a black queen (either a club or a spade) just to be different. You can perform it without a gaff card but it is better with the gaffed card I think.

When you get to the last selection, it can be specified or clarified exactly which card is to be found face up. As opposed to having to equivoque the final choice.
Thats my 2 1/2 cents anyways.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
Thank you, both Rennie and rtgreen, for the clarifications Smile
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
In the many times I have done this, no one has asked to check the gaff card. the shock when they see that the 3 other cards are not queens is enough to knock them off their feet. that's when I just casually keep the cards and move on to the next trick.
"Fill you life with magic by making magic a part of your life." by eric tan.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I bought copies of the book and tape entitled "Mind Control" by David Eldridge - it's excellent! "Mind Control" is a treatise on Equivoque, that features an excellent handling of B'wave. In fact, it sold me on the idea of performing the effect again, even though I do another mental selection effect with an ungimmicked deck, also.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2004-07-03 09:04, Alan Munro wrote:
I bought copies of the book and tape entitled "Mind Control" by David Eldridge - it's excellent! "Mind Control" is a treatise on Equivoque, that features an excellent handling of B'wave. In fact, it sold me on the idea of performing the effect again, even though I do another mental selection effect with an ungimmicked deck, also.

Thanx, Alan. Smile
brimagic
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
18 Posts

Profile of brimagic
I too have my own method of performing this using four blanks and one gimmicked card.

I sort of use a variation of Simon Lovell's "Imagination" where a brief glimpse of a card is seen then changed, as if by your imagination.

simple presentation using elmsley counts and an escagno spread at the end.
eric_e
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of eric_e
The July 2004 Genii has a very amusing story by Jon Racherbaumer in a piece about Murphy's Law where he describes a lucky night where he got to get more mileage out of the peculiarities of the B'Wave gaff than he (and maybe anybody else) is ever likely to get again. It's worth looking up.
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Three people so far have posted in this thread that they've never had anybody ask to look at the cards. I'm the fourth.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
trenchant
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of trenchant
I perform B'Wave as the finale to a series. I also do not use equivoque. My packet is custom-made to use Kings, and the spectator may name any King.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Thanks to everyone for your comments. I'm glad so many perform B'Wave. Its a great effect and I'm glad everyone has put so much thought into its performance.

Here's what prompted my original question.

The way I have always used B'Wave is to tell the spectator I am going to mentally remove either the red or black queens. "Which do I remove?"

I then ask them to mentally remove one of the remaining queens and turn it over in the packet.

I was thinking, with only a very slight change in the wording, I could eliminate the gaffed card.

By removing the first pair of cards myself (the spectator chooses which I remove) then asking the spectator to remove the remaining card I am set up for a very natural equivoque:

"Did you remove the queen of hearts or queen of diamonds?"

If they answer hearts, (the force card)I tell them to turn it over and replace it in the packet.

If they answer diamonds, I say, "Which leaves us with the hearts. I'll turn it over and replace it in the packet."

At the final choice, I can even ask the spectator if they would like to change their mind.

"You removed the hearts. Would you like to change you mind? No? Then turn it face up and place it with the other cards..."

"You removed the hearts. Would you like to change your mind? Yes? Then that leaves me with the queen of hearts. I'll turn it over and place it with the other cards..."

Like most of you, I have never had anyone ask to see the cards at the end, but I thought the impromptu version was very natural. I wanted to see what you guys thought.

(Sorry for the stream-of-consciousness nature of the post Smile )

Thanks,
Richard
Hardi
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
96 Posts

Profile of Hardi
Andrew Galloway has published a beautiful Brain Wave effect with a regular deck. Check out his book "Diverting Card Magic", Copyright 1980, page 41.

Hardi
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Another B'Wave Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL