The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Historical photo of Magician. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
369 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
Historical photo of Magician.

Does anyone know who this magician might be and or where it might have been taken?

It is a Tintype about 4” X 6” in size.

This is a rather small image so I have posted a larger image on this link.
https://www.magicalartcreations.com/old-photo.html

I added the copy watermark to protect the image until we can get more information on it.

Click here to view attached image.
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

www.MagicalArtCreations.com

www.StevenPaulCarlson.com
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
369 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
I have received a couple of PM inquiries regarding this unique photo, asking more questions. I’ll share the little I know at the present regarding it.

I know very little about mid to late 19th century photography. I believe this is called a Tintype. It is a small positive image on a metal plate. The original image is however reversed, so the scan on the link above has been not only been enlarged but reversed so it can be viewed correctly. I believe this original Tintype image is called a direct positive.

I am researching this for an amateur magician acquaintance, his friend came across a box of old family photos as well as traveling photos. Some from Europe.

This guy is definitely a seasoned street worker. I can’t tell if this was shot in Europe or the US?
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

www.MagicalArtCreations.com

www.StevenPaulCarlson.com
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
The top hat was popular from 1800 to about 1900. So your time looks right. The cups look like those used by French street performers in the 1800s too. I would check with Bill Palmer of the cups and balls museum to see if he can better place it: curator@cupsandballsmuseum.com.

The spelling of "magick" may also be a clue and may be a worthwhile avenue to pursue. The hair style is more English or West continent rather than US but that is not hard and fast.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Historical photo of Magician. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL