The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Jay Sankey Color Monte type effect (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I am looking for what I believe is a Jay Sankey effect. It uses regular cards and the color Monte sequence and ends with the reveal of a selected card. If this sounds familiar to someone please let me know. Thanks

David
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Check out “They Know” in the June 2003 issue of Genii. It’s also the first effect in his 2003 lecture notes.

T.J.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Thanks
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
I know Jay has a trick that was a variation of "Color Monte" that used a selected card called "X's and O's", I think. It was on his old "Jay Sankey Live" VHS/DVD. Not to be confused with his Penguin Live Lecture. I assume this is the same trick that T.J. has already mentioned. I don't think Jay still sells this DVD, but you might find it somewhere online or at your local brick and mortar magic shop.

I also have an unpublished manuscript by Jim Temple called "Uncontrived Monte". His trick also incorporates a selected card into proceedings. I'm going to publish this on my magic blog soon.

Marty
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I don't think this is the effect you're looking for, but it's a fun and very different take by Sankey on a Color Monte sort of theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ijOTfSL64 .

Bob
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
As far as I understand, there was originally an effect called 3 Card Monkey Business. This used regular cards.
Color Monte IS 3 Card Monkey Business - just with the addition of the special coloured cards we are all now familiar with.

This post by Kabbalah provides more details -
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......560071#3

I believe several performers have incorporated the idea of using a previously selected (ideally signed) card.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 16, 2023, Bob G wrote:
I don't think this is the effect you're looking for, but it's a fun and very different take by Sankey on a Color Monte sort of theme:

Bob

Thanks for sharing this link, Bob. I wasn't aware of this trick by Jay Sankey; I've been having a lot of fun with it. Jay forgets to mention how to handle a situation where a spectator names the King of Spades. However, he shares his solution to this problem in a pinned comment below the video.

I've also developed a handling that lets you remove any of the four Kings from your pocket at the end of the routine. To achieve this, I've added a preliminary card-to-pocket phase, and you begin with four Jokers (?) that you miscall as the four Kings. You can read a full write-up of my variation on my blog:

Learn "Shake It Up"

I've also applied a "Perverse Magic" presentation to the trick to make the changes in the plot make sense.

Marty
om_darji
View Profile
New user
South Orange County, CA
24 Posts

Profile of om_darji
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2023, Xcath1 wrote:
I am looking for what I believe is a Jay Sankey effect. It uses regular cards and the color Monte sequence and ends with the reveal of a selected card. If this sounds familiar to someone please let me know. Thanks

David

I do this all the time just using the color monte plus flustration counts every so often with a joker, a queen, and a forced card (or signed selection copped out of the deck and loaded into the packet). I just use the color monte sequence as written with my own script. I don't know if that helps.

(On a side note, the great thing about that handling is that the reveal card can be a flap card or other gaff, asa it doesn't get bent. In my magic castle routine I explain how when I was younger I learned this scam to get Lego from my dad, hand out a script for someone to play my dad, and the comedy ensues. At the end, the final card is a gimmick I built with a drawing of a lego brick, which I can pop off the card leaving a hole in the paper)

TLDR the color monte handling should work just fine.
Candidly,

Om Darji (he/she/xe)
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
You're welcome, Marty. I'm looking forward to reading your handling on your blog, and would also be interested to hear about your perverse magic presentation, if it isn't already in your blog.

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi again, Marty. I just finished skimming your revised handling. I'm impressed with your creativity and by how thouroughly you researched the history.

The only thing that kept me from adding Sankey's trick to my repertoire was what you mentioned: If the spec chooses "spades" at the outset, then most of the trick is lost. So I'm happy and grateful to have another possibility to play with.

For people who haven't seen Sankey's video, it's one of a few that he filmed in a park. It was a windy day, and for me the park and the wind added to the video's charm.

Bob
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Thanks, Bob. Jay's original handling is great because it only requires four cards, but, as you say, you lose a lot of the magic if you use the out. Another option is to use Jay's original handling with the Perverse Magic presentation when the King of Spades is named (avoiding the card-to-pocket phase). The "out-of-control" presentation works with Jay's handling just as well. Afterwards, you can just hand the cards to your participant and finish, as I explain in my blog post. However, if you happen to have a Joker in your deck, you can use my alternative handling instead. It's good to have more options.

Starting with four Jokers has its benefits, as you can present the magic as four sequential transformations instead of pseudo switches (as Jay does in the video). This presentation suits my style better.

Marty
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Jay Sankey Color Monte type effect (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL